Menu
IvanS
Tuning in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Slow upload speed to Dropbox

Hi,

Trying to upload to Dropbox via the Web interface has been dog-slow lately. All but one speed test seem to suggest that the upload speed range is in the 12+Mbps bracket. However, according to the router page, a couple of the upstream channels show no info whatsoever, which may be indicative of an issue after all.

Upstream   US-1 US-2 US-3 US-4

Channel Type2.0N/AN/A2.0
Channel ID50N/AN/A51
Frequency (Hz)31000000N/AN/A24400000
Ranging StatusSuccessOtherOtherSuccess
Modulation64QAMN/AN/A16QAM
Symbol Rate (Sym/sec)5120000N/AN/A5120000
Mini-Slot Size4N/AN/A4
Power Level (dBmV)46.00N/AN/A42.75
T1 Timeouts0000
T2 Timeouts0000
T3 Timeouts0000
T4 Timeouts0000

Uploading a file of less than half a gig and it taking between half an hour and an hour just does not seem right.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow upload speed to Dropbox

2 channels is normal.

How much data are you uploading to dropbox? you may be hitting the upload data caps for traffic management.  Woops just read the bottom line. Had you uploaded anything previous to the half gig file?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
IvanS
Tuning in
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Not beyond usage that would be deemed normal in day to day situations. Other than cloud storage and Skype, I tend to do very little that would use great volumes of upload traffic.

As a point of reference, a test upload to Google Drive was faster than Dropbox.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I can't remember the cut off for data upload in an hour for VM but it's only something like 2.5GB

If you uploaded to drop box and then google and it was higher for Google then it would suggest either Dropbox limiting how much it allows to be uploaded speed wise (so each customer gets a fair amount and it doesn't overload their servers) or a routing issue.

As this isn't really an area I know how it works I'll leave the thread for someone else or VM to come along (takes 2-7 days from your last reply depending how busy they are) to see if they can help.

0 Kudos
IvanS
Tuning in
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Uploads to both were done via the web interface and, from what I understand, Dropbox do not limit the upload speed unless one specifically chooses to set that limit in their desktop client or the upload speed itself is restricted by the ISP.

I have also tried to upload to Box and speeds achieved were slow there too. I did not time that upload but the increase in the size of the uploaded data that was being observed was not in line with expectations: a few hundred kilobytes at a time at most.

This is a relatively new issue that started manifesting itself in the past couple of weeks or so.
0 Kudos
IvanS
Tuning in
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Any response Virgin Media?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

You may of unfortunately slip through the cracks, will get it flagged for you.

@ModTeam

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi IvanS, 

Thanks for getting in touch I'm sorry to see you have been having trouble with uploading to Dropbox. 

Looking at things from this side things seem to be ok. I can't see any traffic management issues there either. 

Are you using a wired or a wireless connection to upload? I should imagine it would be wired but I do need to double check. 

Are you having any trouble uploading to any other places? 

Pop up a TBB Graph so we can see if there is any obvious issues that we can'[t see from this side. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
IvanS
Tuning in
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

As if by magic -- though I do not like unexplained magic -- upload speeds to Dropbox were back to their better ones from earlier this week. This is almost a pattern of behaviour with VM: problems happen for no obvious reason, problems go away by themselves. I guess we shall never know...
0 Kudos
mgthomason
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Emma,

I have the same problem - upload speed test says 12mbps - has dropbox speed is 1.5mbps.... do not limit is set on the DB preferences.... any ideas what is slowing the upload down.

Thanks Mark T.

0 Kudos