Menu
aaronaton
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Slow speeds (upload is higher!)

Hiya,
We've been struggling with slow speeds, especially in the the evening time where i can see speeds drop to under 1mb at some points. We are a typical household, with various Ipads/smartphones and Consoles. Utilising the Wireless and Ethernet on the SuperHub2. 
from doing a little research from someone else issues, i'm wondering the the Downstream power is too low as its around 4.8 dbmv??

I totally understand that the speed will always vary from afternoon to evening, but i believe we have a broadband package that is above 50mb.

So i wondering if you guys could check for me if there are any faults?

Thanks 

Aaron

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow speeds (upload is higher!)

Hi Aaron

the recommended range for downstream power levels is between -6 and +10 so 4.8 is fine.

Slow speeds at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends) but full speed at off peak times is normally a symptom of high utilisation/contention in your area. Might be worth checking if you are getting full speed off peak or not.

If you're unsure what speed tier you are on try logging into My Virgin Media (link at top right of screen) and it will show you which up to speed tier you are on.

It is currently taking VM staff at least a week to get to threads so you will have to be patient if you want them to check your connection.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi aaronaton,

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy apologies for the slow speed issues, I've taken a look at your connection and I've found a reason for this.

It appears there's a lot of demand on your particular network cable during peak times. Our engineers are currently planning to undertake some broadband upgrades to support this increased demand. Once the work is completed you'll find your peak time speeds return to normal.

The reference for this issue is F003916303, the current review date is 22nd February 2017. I'll pass your details to a colleague who will be in touch via PM to discuss credit options, they'll also provide you an update at the next review date.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
aaronaton
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

speedtest.png

Ok, so do you mean that as an household we are using/demanding too much from the network at peak times? Or is it the general area at peak times?

For months now ive been getting this speed (as above) i've never known an upload speed to be greater than the download speed either.

Plus for me, The date you guys have set  (end of February) seems a little bit too far away for it to be simply investigated, although i understand that you guys are busy.

Are there no other solutions? ie. Upgrade our household to the Superhub 3?

and lastly, what do you guys mean about discussing credit options? We have been paying for the biggest and best packages from you guys for years.

Thanks  

Aaron

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

its the area not you persoanlly. there is nothing you can do. Upgrading or changing hardware will not hwlp so dont waste money trying it
0 Kudos