Menu
DJB2
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Slow speeds in St Albans Area

I can see that this is an issue which is affecting a lot of us Virgin subscribers here in the St Albans area. I am lucky if I get 4 Mb download speeds ( I am paying for 50 Mb ).

A simple search on the forum shows that this has been reported many times, without any resolution by Virgin Media.

The latest response I have seen from Heather J is that the review date for this, it would appear, known issue, has been moved from the 11th Jan 2017 to the 26th April 2017.

I dont think this is  acceptable, Virgin Media are consistently failing to deliver a product to the specifications they promise and charge for.

If there are enough of us, I think some form of group action, may be a path we should consider.

If you are of a like mind then drop me an email at       removed @tesco.net 

then we can take it from there.

Regards

Des

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow speeds in St Albans Area

Hi DJB2, 

Thanks for the post! Let me start by taking this opportunity to welcome you to our forum community! It's great to see so many new faces around here!

I am sorry to learn of your issues with slow speeds, I apologise for any troubles incurred.

I've run some tests from here and I noticed that your area cable seems to be suffering some load issues, especially during the peak hours. We're planning to undertake some upgrades to parts of our external network in your area in order to combat this.

The upgrades will be to improve bandwidth and performance during the peak times, the reference number for this is F003422808 and is currently scheduled to be reviewed around the end of April. Thanks for your patience with regards to this matter, one of my colleagues will be in touch with some more information. I will need to confirm a few security questions with you in order to make their job a little easier. I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required, please respond to me there and I'll get this sorted for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
DJB2
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply Adam,

just like to iterate that this is not a new issue, speed has been deteriorating over the last few years and is affecting my TV quality as well.

Everything would point to poor network capacity in this area, potentially deteriorating further as new Virgin subscribers come on board.

I can see from previous posts on this forum that the review now scheduled for the end of April, has been set on a previous date and then postponed, I have little confidence that this won`t happen again.

A question from me: Why are Virgin continuing to apply full charges for a promised standard of service that they have quite blatantly not been delivering over an extended period of time ?

I speed test my connection everyday, and at peak times it averages 2.7 MB download speed, and off peak around 4 Mb. Nowhere near the minimum standard.

I look forward to your someone being in touch with me, nothing heard as yet.

Regards

Des

0 Kudos
Area31pain
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi there DJB2

I have also posted re: slow speed in this area http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Let-s-make-a-noise-area-31/td-p/3358584 and agree re: group action.

0 Kudos
nickh
Superfast
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Des,

I'm in St Albans as well and have been suffering from poor service due to over-utilisation and a service which is getting worse month by month.  If you speak to Customer Service they should offer you acredit each month until the issue is resolved.  Although, it's still many months away from what I've been told so you may want to look at alternatives.

Nick

DJB2 wrote:

Thanks for your reply Adam,

just like to iterate that this is not a new issue, speed has been deteriorating over the last few years and is affecting my TV quality as well.

Everything would point to poor network capacity in this area, potentially deteriorating further as new Virgin subscribers come on board.

I can see from previous posts on this forum that the review now scheduled for the end of April, has been set on a previous date and then postponed, I have little confidence that this won`t happen again.

A question from me: Why are Virgin continuing to apply full charges for a promised standard of service that they have quite blatantly not been delivering over an extended period of time ?

I speed test my connection everyday, and at peak times it averages 2.7 MB download speed, and off peak around 4 Mb. Nowhere near the minimum standard.

I look forward to your someone being in touch with me, nothing heard as yet.

Regards

Des

0 Kudos