Menu
Niopha
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Slow speeds for 12+ months now...

Hello,

First of all, this may be a little long winded so I apologise in advanced. 

Been a Virgin Media customer for many years now and until the last year, service has been excellent.

However since around this time last year speeds have plummeted. I pay for  the 100MB/s package yet i'm lucky if I see higher than 50, which at this point would be amazing. Most of the time I am getting up to 10Mbps ... 

My most recent speed test: http://www.speedtest.net/result/5574871833.png

Last few that speedtest.net has saved: https://i.imgur.com/HlrxYK3.png

Initially around this time last year I called up almost 2 weeks in a row before I was finally informed that there was high utilization in the area and there is on-going work that was scheduled to finish in November 2015... So I dealt with it, because for the last 8~10 years you've always been reliable.

November comes around, there's no change. The cycle repeats and we're now in August 2016, it's been a year and frankly i'm at the end of my tether. I'm writing here as a last resort as I am sick to death of calling up and being told the same rubbish and offered a whole £10 off my bill. I don't want to save money, I want the connection and reliability that was previously promised. 

Engineers have been out, my equipment is "fine". My first generation super hub 1 will not be replaced unless it's broken, despite being at least 5 years old. 

As time progresses it is just getting worse. To the point where not only am I getting "good speeds for 10 years ago" Packet loss has increased substantially and my latency is increasing. I mean look at this recent ping to google DNS: https://i.imgur.com/QKfy9J6.png  The average latency is ridiculous and the lost packets, ok they are only a few but this is 2016. I shouldn't be watching images load on webpages line by line like i'm back on dial-up. 

As someone who works in IT and who works from home needing remote access to clients, this just simply isn't good enough anymore. I am tired of phoning up and talking to your 1st line who do nothing but ask me to restart the router and then book and engineer out to test the equipment. I understand that's procedure but it's been a waste of time for the last 6-7 times now. 

Maybe this post is pointless, and if you've read this far, thank you for your time. I don't want the hassle of changing to a different ISP but I feel I may have no choice soon... Is there absolutely anything that can be done to help? 

0 Kudos
Niopha
Tuning in
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow speeds for 12+ months now...

Guess nobody has any real solution Smiley Sad

Can anyone recommend an alternate ISP with decent speed and minimal downtime (even during peak?)

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Niopha

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to the community.

Sorry to read that you are experiencing slow broadband speeds.

I would like to check your connection for any issues, however I was unable to locate your account. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some details for you to confirm please. Once you have replied I can look into this further.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Niopha

Thanks for the reply and confirming your details, I appreciate it.

I've taken a look at your account and can see the high peak time traffic fault in your area which is causing slow speeds. Our networks team are investigating the problem and are improving bandwidth and performance to help with this issue. The reference number is F003245754 and with a review date of 14th December. These faults will have review dates due to the work that is required. The upgrade work itself can involve: implementation of additional upstream and/or downstream channels, hardware upgrades at the CMTS, re-siting of street cabinets, digging up of roads/paths etc.

I know this is frustrating and I am sorry for the inconvenience caused. One of my colleagues will be in touch shortly with further information in regards to this issue.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Niopha
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam,

Thanks for taking a look for me. 

I look forward to the next correspondence 

0 Kudos
Niopha
Tuning in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
ian-c
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Niopha

Welcome to the long standing Contention Club.

Its either 1) keep taking the loss of service credit and prey for the upgrades to be completed. 2) start an official complaint. Or 3) find a different provider.

Is there anything else that can be done? After this length of time I would consider option 2. What have you got to lose?

•You MUST file a complaint with Virgin FIRST.
Write a letter and send it recorded delivery to: Customer Complaints, Matrix Court, Llansamlet, SWANSEA SA7 9BB
Use the online 'chat' and save a copy of the chat transcript showing date and time
Use email. Virgin have recently removed the link to the online email form from their 'contact us' page making this more difficult, but the format for emails is: firstname dot lastname at virginmedia dot co dot uk
•Allow Virgin to offer a satisfactory resolution to your complaint.

•If you have not reached an agreed settlement within eight weeks of making your complaint, or Virgin Media agree in writing before the eight weeks is up that the dispute should be settled by independent adjudication, you can refer your complaint for independent consideration through Alternative Dispute Resolution by the Communications and Internet Services Adjudication Scheme (“CISAS”)

-----------------------------------------------------------
I am in an OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA AREA - poor speeds of 0.3Mbps to 4Mbps every evening.
Contention reference "F002896495", has now become F004952644.
Ongoing since March 2014. 16 review dates... Next Review JANUARY 2018
Niopha
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Still no resolution...

Now even at 2am I am disconnecting, receiving nothing but T3 timeouts and this in my router network log...

Time Not EstablishedTime Not Established82000700Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - initializing MAC
Time Not EstablishedTime Not Established82000700Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - initializing MAC
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Niopha

Thanks for getting back in touch.

Sorry to read that you are experiencing intermittent broadband connection.

Looking at your connection, there have been no time-outs reported since the router has been online.

Are you still experiencing these disconnections? If so can you re-post the network log for me please?

Speak soon
Sam

0 Kudos
Niopha
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Been patient with this as I was told with confidence it will be resolved by December 14th.

Today is December 14th and I have just received a message from the Mod Team that this will now be looked at again on 10/05/2017 .......??????????

Are you kidding me? For the last 12 months I have been getting less than 20% of the service I am paying for and Virgin's argument is that "it's okay between midnight and 4pm Mon-Fri" ... That's great, but I don't use my home Internet service during those times because I have a full time job.

I work on-call regularly in the evenings with clients I need to remotely access. Having constant packet loss interrupts my connection and is distrupting my ability to do my job. 

I've still not received an explanation as to why this is going to take a further 18 months from the initial "resolution date", every 6 months you decide it will be another 6 months and frankly I cannot suffer the loss of service any longer. The whopping £10 compensation does not cover the loss of me not being able to do my job. Are you willing to pay the installation charge of an ISP that can provide a reliable service in my area? At the moment I am not seeing another alternative. 

0 Kudos