Menu
BryceWallace
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Slow speeds, High ping.

So I have had virgin media for about 3/4 weeks now. I pay for the 50 mbps package but receive 1 or 2 Mbps maximum. I receive lag when streaming video content or when i play video games online i get a ping of around 400 + m/s. I am on the internet most of the day for work and leisure so i NEED a constant and stable connection so why am I receiving sub-par performance.

It is absolutely useless and is sometimes un-usable.

Postcode area: EH38BZ

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow speeds, High ping.

How are you connecting to the hub, wired or wirelessly?

If wireless I would test by connecting directly to the hub with an ethernet cable.

0 Kudos
BryceWallace
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I'm connecting wirelessly but my devices are no more than 5 meters from the hub. Although It wouldn't be possible to connect them via Ethernet due to cable lengths. Well when I run a speed test on all of my devices i get:

Ping: 8 ms

Download: 1.90 Mbps

Upload: 2.28Mbps

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The trouble with wireless is that it is affected by a myriad of external influences like wireless interference, especially on the 2.4Ghz band. Wireless interference can emminate from nearby wireless networks and household appliances like baby monitors, chordless phones, plasma tvs, microwave ovens, CCTV security cameras, a\v streaming devices etc. and proximity does not negate interference completely.

Posting the hub's power levels and network logs may show any obvious impairments with the internet connection, but will not be as useful as a wired speed test.

On the wireless side you could try the 5Ghz band as it is wider and tends to be less contended than the 2.4Ghz band, but your client devices need to be 5Ghz capable.

You could try changing the wireless channel manually. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.
I would also check for other sources of wireless interference such as chordless phones, baby monitors, a\v streaming devices etc.

However, this may prove a fruitless exercise if it is the internet connection is at fault, which brings us back to testing with a wired connection.

0 Kudos
baggieslad1988
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I hate to be the one to say it like it is but why on earth should we as customers go through these troubleshooting steps when it is virgin who provide the service and therefore should be the ones responsible for any issues. For months now I have repeatedly had low download speeds and high as a kite ping levels and all they do is send a signal boost down my line which never works for more than a matter if hours and it's back to the same crap as before. Something obviously isn't right. I receive the same issues wireless and through a wired powerline adaptor so I refuse to listen to the same repetitive crap from people on here that it's my wireless because I have tried on both. I have vivd 200mb with superhub 2.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Errr.... to diagnose the problem.

There are many causes of slow speed, some VM's fault, some not. So, it might help slightly to find out what the cause of the problem actual is so the solution can be found. Otherwise, it is like going to the doctor and saying I am Ill cure me.

If you are not willing to listen to advice on how to diagnose the problem, then you are not going to find out what the acyual problem is. so how are you going to fix it?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

baggieslad1988 wrote:
 I receive the same issues wireless and through a wired powerline adaptor so I refuse to listen to the same repetitive crap from people on here that it's my wireless because I have tried on both. I have vivd 200mb with superhub 2.

Powerline adapters are just as bad to be fair. What are your results like directly wired to the hub and not through wireless/powerlines etc?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos