Menu
smiffy69
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Slow speed in the evening - is this usual?

Hi Newbie here so sorry if this has been done to death but .........

Is it normal for a 200Meg service (which during the day will meet these speeds) drop to <30M during the evening.  I get there is contention during the peak period but surely this is too slow.  I pay for a high speed service and would expect to able to use this at peak time as that's when I need to use it.  

I have had many calls with the help desk to resolve but it never changes.  Feeling that I have bought into a service which can't delivery :-( 

Speed test is via ookla, cabled direct to router so its not a Wifi issue.  accordingly to log peak time speeds have been declining over the last few weeks. I am in area 20

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Slow speed in the evening - is this usual?

Slow speeds at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends) but full speed at off peak times is normally a symptom of high utilisation/contention in your area.

Somebody from the VM forum team should be along in 7-10 days to check your connection and can confirm if there is a known issue with your segment of the network. If that is the case they should provide a fault reference and pass your details onto another team who should inform you about your credit options for the lack of service via a PM. They should also be able to provide a review date for the fault. Note that it is a review date not a guaranteed fix date and some customers affected by this kind of issue have been waiting over a year for a fix.

This sort of peak time lack of capacity issue is not usual for the majority of customers (despite what some on here would have you believe) but if you are a new customer and within your 14 day cooling off period it might be worth considering cancelling.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Slow speeds at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends) but full speed at off peak times is normally a symptom of high utilisation/contention in your area.

Somebody from the VM forum team should be along in 7-10 days to check your connection and can confirm if there is a known issue with your segment of the network. If that is the case they should provide a fault reference and pass your details onto another team who should inform you about your credit options for the lack of service via a PM. They should also be able to provide a review date for the fault. Note that it is a review date not a guaranteed fix date and some customers affected by this kind of issue have been waiting over a year for a fix.

This sort of peak time lack of capacity issue is not usual for the majority of customers (despite what some on here would have you believe) but if you are a new customer and within your 14 day cooling off period it might be worth considering cancelling.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

jwball
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Yes welcome to the world of virgin broadband. It used to be good but now it is one of the worst services out there. Absolutely terrible.
smiffy69
Tuning in
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the replies - not good news that they do not support the speed they offer at the time when you need to use it.  I understand that networks get busy at peak times but that's what you should dimension your network for surely.  I'd even settle for a drop to around 180M but down to sub 30M then I should have stayed with sky and that way I'd have a better set top box !  So unless this gets an upgrade then it looks like I will be going back to sky when my contract runs out.

Such a shame given the amount of money Liberty Global are spending to grow the network reach that they are not maintaining the existing capacity and speeds....... and ultimately their customers 

greyman
Superfast
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I think it is fair to say that "some on here" only have their own experience and the apparently very similar experiences that the vast majority of the posters on this forum appear to be faced with.

Personally, it matters not to me whether or not this malaise affects the rest of the network or not and i would actually prefer it if it didn't, as that might mean a faster resolution time for me. The fact is that my problematic part of the network has a "review date" of May 17th, would seem to indicate, along with the posts on this forum, that there are a significant number of areas and therefore customers, that are suffering shockingly low speeds at this time.

If you are so sure that this isn't a nationwide issue, then please provide the evidence on which you are basing your opinion , ideally with numbers, so that we have something to go on.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@greyman 

It is fair to say that folks only have their own experience to reflect on and yes these are not isolated incidents, but to suggest that everybody is suffering is just plain wrong to me.

Up to the end of last year VM had 4,916,700 broadband customers and this forum only has 360,893 members and not all of them are reporting peak time speed issues. What figures do you have to back up your claim that the vast majority of posters are here because of a peak time utilisation issue? Even if they were it would still be a tiny fraction of the customer base.

I know that not all customers will use this forum to complain, I suspect most don't even know it exists, but that is also a reason to not take some posts on here and extrapolate them into a nationwide issue impacting all customers. It is nationwide in the sense that it is an issue in several different parts of the UK, but not in the sense that all customers nationwide are impacted.

It is shocking that in some areas VM are being painfully slow in resolving the issues, but I'm just trying to point out that not every areas has this issue. The issues can be very local, like where I am in Wigan my speeds are OK but many others in Wigan are suffering. There were reports at the end of December that some users in Wigan were getting better speeds, ahead of their review date I might add, but again not everybody in Wigan.

Places like this will always lean more toward the negative because if everything is working OK there is no reason to visit or post.

0 Kudos
greyman
Superfast
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

believe me, I would much rather have no reason to visit or post here, much preferring to experience a trouble free broadband connection. Until that happens, I guess that my view of VM, whether I am in a minority or otherwise, will not be overly positive.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi smiffy69,

Welcome to the Community!

Really sorry to hear you're experiencing speed issues.

I've located your account and I can see an issue with the network in your area affecting speeds at peak times - Ref.(F004962192). Our technicians are working to get this resolved and have set a review date of 19th April 2017.

I'm really sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

All the best

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
smiffy69
Tuning in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Josh for the update.

How will I know the outcome of the review and what action will to taken to rectify the issue.

Cheers

0 Kudos
smiffy69
Tuning in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Slow again tonight 31M download :-(

0 Kudos