Menu
andymunn
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Slow speed in the evening and brow box

This is a two part post.

Firstly like many other people I am getting cripplingly slow download speeds in the evening, 3.5 Mbs at best. I am on Fibre 30 connection, I don't game online probably use p2p around once a month and don't stream movies online only the odd youtube video and the normal e-mail and web browsing. So why is my connection being throttled?

I've run the online diagnostics test and have rebooted my router, this makes no difference at all. There are no viruses or malware on my computer or any other technical problems. 

I am out at work from 7 in the morning and 7 at night so hardly ever benefit from the higher speed during the day time and I am getting a bit **bleep** off with paying for a service I do not get.

Secondly I posted a comment on the forum on 13-05-2014 about a neighbours cable being connected into my brown box and was told by a moderator that this was only a temporary measure. Well nothing has changed. When is their cable going to be installed in their own brown box?

0 Kudos
andymunn
Joining in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow speed in the evening and brow box

Tonight I have been getting a blisteringly fast speed of 0.8Mbs well done Virgin for your rip off service....

0 Kudos
andymunn
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Tonight I have been getting a blisteringly fast speed of 2.79 Mb/s go virgin go........

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Evening andymunn,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community. It's nice to have you back here.

My apologies that you are experiencing slow broadband speeds. I know how frustrating this can be.

I've taken a look at your connection and there is a high peak time traffic fault in your area which is causing slow speeds. Our networks team are investigating the problem and are improving bandwidth and performance to help with this issue. The reference number is F003576042 and with a review date of 21st December.

In regards to your neighbours cable being installed in your omni box, I have emailed the Install Manager to get this looked into for you.

I will speak to you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
andymunn
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello Samantha,

Thank you for your reply. 

Surely Virgin should be prepared for high traffic levels. I live in zone 2, London, of course there is going to be high demand and Virgin should be able to cope. If not they should stop signing people up to broadband until they have the infrastructure in place that can deal with it. Judging by the posts I have read on here this is not restricted just to my area. As I pointed out in my original post I am out between 7 in the morning and 7 in the evening during the week, so I hardly ever get a decent speed level. Tonight it's the amazing speed of 1.77Mb/s. I was better off with my previous copper wire connection.

I resent having to pay for a service I am not receiving and to be told i will have to wait until 21st of December doesn't help. Maybe Virgin should reduce my bill until the problem is fixed.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The December date is only a review date, not a fix date. Keep that in mind.

You can claim discounts with the reference number (and also get an upgrade for free to 70Mbs, although you may not see that still due to your work pattern, but you will be able to get the upload speed boost at least).

You can also leave penalty free with the price increase that is happening as long as you say that is why you are leaving. That can give you the option of getting another provider.

As a note, VMs service is also a copper wire, so you are still on copper (copper coaxial)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
andymunn
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info. I used the term copper to refer to telephone cable, i do realise that coaxial cable is copper thanks, i'm not that thick.

0 Kudos