Menu
SouthGrid_87
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Slow speed in the evening - Area 21

We've been experiencing very slow speed (2Mbps - 4Mbps download) in the evening. I know that there's nothing wrong with the modem + router + Wifi setup because I get full speed in the morning. This has been happening for about 1 - 2 weeks or so, perhaps longer but it definitely dropped significantly in the past couple of weeks.

There's no reported issues according to Virgin.

Anyone experiencing the same issue? We're on Area 21 - SW18/Wandsworth.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 33
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Slow speed in the evening - Area 21

Slow speeds only at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends) is normally a symptom of high utilisation/contention in your area.

Somebody from the VM forum team should be along in a few days (up to a week) to check your connection and can confirm if there is a known issue with your segment of the network. If that is the case they should provide a fault reference and somebody should inform you about your credit options for the lack of service via a PM. They should also be able to provide a review date for the fault. Note that it is a review date not an expected fix date and some customers affected by this kind of issue have been waiting years for a fix.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 33
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Slow speeds only at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends) is normally a symptom of high utilisation/contention in your area.

Somebody from the VM forum team should be along in a few days (up to a week) to check your connection and can confirm if there is a known issue with your segment of the network. If that is the case they should provide a fault reference and somebody should inform you about your credit options for the lack of service via a PM. They should also be able to provide a review date for the fault. Note that it is a review date not an expected fix date and some customers affected by this kind of issue have been waiting years for a fix.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
SouthGrid_87
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Given the number of slow speed complaints in this forum, I'm not liking my chances here.

It's 6AM and as expected I have full speed.

0 Kudos
cafcdog
Joining in
Message 4 of 33
Flag for a moderator

i to am getting very slow speeds in the evening between 1 and 2 mbps. during the day seems to be fine. been happening since the end of October. i called up virgin to which they said it was due to laying new cables in the area (SE9/Eltham). offered me 10 pound refund on my next bill.
0 Kudos
SouthGrid_87
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Did they tell you when they expect this to be resolved?

0 Kudos
lineweight
Joining in
Message 6 of 33
Flag for a moderator

I am also in area 21 and have the exact same problem. It has been getting worse for a while.

Now I consistently have very slow speeds in the evenings, to the extent that not only does streaming stop working but just normal web pages take ages to load.

The speed is fine during the day (I am supposed to get 50mbps and often get that) but in the evening from around 5-11pm speeds go right down to 1.5mbps and lower.

0 Kudos
cafcdog
Joining in
Message 7 of 33
Flag for a moderator

no
0 Kudos
SouthGrid_87
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Incredible ... so they just expect us to bend over and accept the fact that their poor service???

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Hiya SouthGrid_87,

Welcome to the community. It's nice to have you here.

My apologies that you are experiencing slow broadband speeds.

Looking at your connection, there is a high peak time traffic fault in your area which is causing these slow speeds. Our networks team are investigating the problem and are improving bandwidth and performance to help with this issue. The reference number is F003803786 and with a review date of 21st December.

In regards to area reference numbers these are in relation to our billing system and will have no impact on your connection.

I will pass this across to one of our colleagues who will be in touch with more information.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
jmarsters89
Tuning in
Message 10 of 33
Flag for a moderator

21st December will pass by and the problems will remain. Don't listen to these lies.

0 Kudos