Menu
Myddrak
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Slow speed in Norwich NR4

For the last few weeks, I have noticed buffering when streaming, and the drop of speed to below 5mb (This on a Vivid 150 connection).  Sometimes even a complete drop of connection for several minutes. I've been a customer for years, and never had reliability problems of this nature.

I've  started monitoring the speed every 15 mins automatically, and found that the speed was fine all day until 5pm.... and was OK again in the middle of the night.

I have rebooted and reset the Virgin Media hub more times than I can remember. I have dialled 150 to report broadband failure multiple times. Tests have been done with both wired and wireless connections. (And the wireless network performs fine for non-internet transfers)

I do not use tv so have no idea if my networks speed failures effect tv.

Is there a peak usage problem in the Norwich area (with a resolution date), and should I get a service credit?

0 Kudos
Myddrak
Joining in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow speed in Norwich NR4

Still a problem today.... speed fluctuates wildly throughout the day, and goes very slow from 6:30 pm onwards.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello Myddrak,

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to the Community Smiley Very Happy

Sorry to hear about the slow speeds you're experiencing at the moment, I know it's frustrating. I've just tested your equipment and everything looks normal right now. I think it would be a good idea for you to set up a BQM so we can take a closer look at your connections.

Thanks for your patience,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Myddrak
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

BQM up and running
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this Myddrak,

I've checked up on this for you and I'm unable to detect any active faults at the moment.

Have you completed any hardwired speed tests recently?

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Myddrak
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Actually, this week things have been much improved.. I've been running multiple speed tests daily, and have been much more in line with my previous experience over the last few years (each one over 100mb/s).

I also haven't been experiencing any total outages this week so far.

I am aware of some work occurring locally (this Friday according to the letter from Virgin) which may cause an outage, so I'll ignore any problems occurring on Friday itself.

I'll update with any further info next week.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for updating the thread Myddrak and great to hear that things have improved.

Please keep us updated and let me know if I can assist further,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Myddrak
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I was believing that this was sorted - but problems again tonight - download speeds down to between 2 and 10 mbps.

Have plugged in a spare laptop on ethernet to check with wired connection, and get same results (speedtest.net)

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Myddrak,

Thanks for getting back to us and apologies you are still having an issue with the speeds.

I've taken a look at the network and everything has come back as fine. I was unable to find any issue's that would cause an impact to your speeds.

When this happens next complete a speed test whilst the Hub is in modem mode and post the results please?

Are you able to post your BQM graph for us to check over?

Kind regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos