Menu
PO123
Tuning in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Slow speed in Milton southsea area Portsmouth

Have been told the wifi speed in the Portsmouth Milton area has not been getting a fast broadband speed as the wire feeding it is well overloaded so people will not be getting the speed there paying for and you can get some money refunded for that. Although I'd rather just have fast internet speed that does what I need it to. Thoughts ??
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Slow speed in Milton southsea area Portsmouth

I'm in PO4 and am affected by fault F003957459. I'm on a 150Mb contract I get speeds of 4 – 8Mb at peak times. It's a utilisation fault (VM oversubscribed customers and not enough bandwidth at peak times for everyone) which has been ongoing since October 2015, so don't hold your breath for a quick fix! VM are saying that the next review date is 29/03/17. As you're so near by, this may be the same fault or something completely different. You should be able to get a reduction on your bill due to diminished service if it's something VM can't fix.

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016
0 Kudos
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The problem is that there's no incentive at all for VM to fix the faults in Pompey because all of the other providers can only supply broadband in the 4-8 Mbs range. Once the likes of BT and Sky get their fibre broadband more widely available VM might have some problems retaining their existing customer base.

I've been a VM customer for 15 years, but I can't wait to jump ship and leave this shambles behind.

I've just been told that, like you, the fault affecting me in Southsea won't be reviewed again until the end of December meaning that it will have been ongoing for over 2 years. More than that if you include the previous fault that stayed "fixed" for all of three months. In total I think this has been ongoing more than 3 years!

VM you are a disgrace.

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016

All Replies
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'm in PO4 and am affected by fault F003957459. I'm on a 150Mb contract I get speeds of 4 – 8Mb at peak times. It's a utilisation fault (VM oversubscribed customers and not enough bandwidth at peak times for everyone) which has been ongoing since October 2015, so don't hold your breath for a quick fix! VM are saying that the next review date is 29/03/17. As you're so near by, this may be the same fault or something completely different. You should be able to get a reduction on your bill due to diminished service if it's something VM can't fix.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi PO123,

Welcome to the Community!

Really sorry to hear you're having trouble with your connection.

I'd like to check this out for you but I can't seem to locate your account. I've sent you a private message (purple envelope at the top right of your screen) so I can grab some details.

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Ezekieljm
Joining in
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Morning,

I signed up to this forum specifically because of this topic. 

I have the Vivid 100 package and recently i only get about 40 -50 during the day while no where near 100 this is not awful. (i used to get 80 - 90) with no changes till a short while ago.

But the main issue is in the evening I now only get 2 or 3 mbps which frankly is ridiculous. This is not fast enough to stream even one hd chromecast stream never mind anything more than that. I work often in the evenings and need to talk to other countries via skype and this is borderline not fast enough to have a multi person conference. Heck all i am asking for is 10 Mbps or more in the evenings never mind anything close to 100. Please sort this out. I have followed numerous threads for a while about the milton and po4 area and they keep having review dates that then get pushed out so i have literally zero faith that this is going to be sorted. 

Feel free to prove me wrong. And no there is nothing wrong with my setup/router/ wireless (although i test on wired anyway) etc etc as during the day i get at least 40 - 50 ....

Kind Regards,

Ezekiel

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Afternoon Ezekiel,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

I'm sorry to read you are experiencing slow broadband speeds.

I've managed to locate your account and there is a high peak time traffic fault in your area which is causing slow speeds. The reference number is F003074424 and has a review date of 27th December. As this is a review date it can be subject to change.

If there is anything else you would like me to check, by all means let me know.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
PO123
Tuning in
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

This problem has been occurring for the last year atleast and nothing has been done at all I'm going to have to change providers Because this is a joke that we as a community using virgin are going to still have the same problem till December and I will be going to social media to warn others in my area about the problem and stop them from using this company. Paying for something your not able to give is against the false advertising and people are not being informed!
0 Kudos
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Unbelievable! You should contact VM and ask for a discount on your bill due to diminished service if you're unable to find another provider.

I live in PO4 and the fault affecting me is due for "review" (whatever that means — tea and biscuits in a meeting room for all the difference they make) on 29th March. If it's not fixed then I think it's time to move on after almost 15 years as an NTL/VM customer. Unfortunately BT has no capacity in my area, but at least they have the decency and honesty to admit it, unlike VM.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi PO123,

I've not been able to test your connection as I'm unable to locate your Hub details. Please reply to my PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page) and I'll find out what's happening for you.

Thanks Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
PO123
Tuning in
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I've already done this over the phone and the reason it's slow is because the area is overloaded at peak times so you guys can't provide the service that your supplying. How long will virgin continue to scam people out of money by making them pay for something that you can not provide? The worst thing is it's going to carry on until enough people find out and complain and will end up the money you end up paying back will be more than getting the problem fixed.
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The problem is that there's no incentive at all for VM to fix the faults in Pompey because all of the other providers can only supply broadband in the 4-8 Mbs range. Once the likes of BT and Sky get their fibre broadband more widely available VM might have some problems retaining their existing customer base.

I've been a VM customer for 15 years, but I can't wait to jump ship and leave this shambles behind.

I've just been told that, like you, the fault affecting me in Southsea won't be reviewed again until the end of December meaning that it will have been ongoing for over 2 years. More than that if you include the previous fault that stayed "fixed" for all of three months. In total I think this has been ongoing more than 3 years!

VM you are a disgrace.