Menu
ktimms
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Slow speed - helpline offered to send a replacement router which apparently has not been actioned

Hi,

There was a service outage in my area around New Year and since then my speeds have been very poor (often less than 1mbps download). I spent 35 minutes speaking to an agent on the helpline on Sunday evening, who seemed very friendly and helpful. She tried a few different things - none of which resolved my issue. Because the issue wasn't resolved she said she had requested for a new router to be sent to me, which I should have received by today.

So my boyfriend has waited in the house since 8am for this to come and nothing has arrived, so I contacted you again via online chat today to check the router was still on its way to me. The chat agent stated there is no record of a router being requested. The chat then abruptly came to an end.

My boyfriend is in his final year at university and relies on the internet to access online journals and ebooks, this has been incredibly difficult whilst the broadband has been so slow. I was relieved to think this issue could be resolved by this evening, so I am sure you can appreciate how disappointed I am that nothing has been done. He has also wasted a day waiting for something to be delivered that was never going to arrive. 

Is there anything else that can be done about this? Another three working days for a router is unacceptable to me at this point.

Thank you for any help you can provide,

Yours, Karen. 

0 Kudos
ktimms
Joining in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow speed - helpline offered to send a replacement router which apparently has not been actioned

I should also add that I am not happy to spend another half an hour of my time on the phone again either. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow speed - helpline offered to send a replacement router which apparently has not been actioned

if you spoke to offshore (believe webchat falls in here too), anything and everything they say should be taken with a BIG pinch of salt as they are just script reading.

The VM forum team take around 1-2 weeks for a reply currently so if you do want a quicker response, try ringing up during office hours and ask to speak to the cancellation team. Hopefully you get 'the scottish man at swansea' who seems to make everyone happy.

Regarding the slow speeds, are they constant or do they crop up during peak hours? (3pm-midnight roughly)

Are the speedtests done wired/wirelessly?

Can you post your routers powerlevels to see if anything is obviously amiss?

Go to http://192.168.0.1/ DON'T log in, just go to the button on the top right that says 'Router Status', from there can you go into the 'Downstream' 'Upstream' and 'Network log' sections and copy/paste the information in there (don't worry about formatting, if you get a HTML error while posting, just hit post again and it will work)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
ktimms
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi the slow speeds seem to be constant. I will try and do the power levels when I get home.

Tests have been done wired and wireless and the results were pretty much identical. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow speed - helpline offered to send a replacement router which apparently has not been acti...

Hi ktimms,

Welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear you're having speed issues.

I've located your account and I can see an issue with the network in your area affecting speeds at peak times - Ref.(F004924771). Our technicians are working to get this sorted as soon as possible and have set a review date of 8th February.

I've also picked up an issue with your Downstream Power levels that will need to be adjusted by a technician. I've sent you a private message (purple envelope at the top right of your screen) so I can arrange an appointment.

Look forward to hearing from you! Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
ktimms
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow speed - helpline offered to send a replacement router which apparently has not been acti...

Thanks Josh. This issue now seems to have resolved itself - I've sent you a PM about it too.
Thanks for responding so quickly!

Cheers,

Karen. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Fab to hear this Karen!

Let us know if we can help with anything more,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos