Menu
Cotterpin
Tuning in
Message 1 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Slow speed, area ref. 01

Slow speed tonight, can't watch iplayer, too slow, only 2 Mb/s. Why is this - no known issues reported.

Not the first time it's happened, no point in telephoning India, they told me to reset my WiFi when I was testing with a wired connection!

Never had this problem with BT, I think I made a mistake changing to VM.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Parki79
Rising star
Message 5 of 29
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Slow speed, area ref. 01

I am in Golborne and I have the same issues at Peak time. There is a fault for it in my area which is due to be fixed in April but they tend to push these back3 months at a time and never fix them. I have relatives in Goose Green with the same Utilisation issues. Both different utilisation fault codes but both have been open for over a year with little sign of them actually doing the required works.

They may do them eventually but you should phone up and double check its utilisation and if so a refund for your services.

I am in a Virgin Over Utilised Area - F003476231 - Never Ending Fault.
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 29
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Cotterpin wrote:

Yes, Wigan area.

Is VM doing anything about this high utilisation do you know? If there is no fix coming I'll look at going back to BT.

I don't know about Wigan but in St Helens we've had a utilisation fault since January 2015 and nothing has been done yet. Before this we had another utilisation fault which lasted 23 months.  

Are your speeds good during the day? If so it's definitely utilisation and I would suggest going back to BT as these faults take months if not years to fix.

ILuvNips
Fibre optic
Message 11 of 29
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you go through to CS and through the key presses to report a fault on your BB, if you have a contention issue fault number then give them that and state that you're ringing to get a credit due to the fault number. If you don't have a fault number then ask them what it is, they should be able to get it for you then state that you want a credit. Max I've seen reported here is £15 per month.

In HA7. Billing Area 21.
Utilisation Fault
F003502423: Review Dates -> 07/10/2015 -> 02/12/2015 -> 20/01/2016 Smiley Sad -> Closed Smiley Happy
Utilisation Fault F004873444: Review Dates -> 29/03/2017 Smiley Sad -> Closed Smiley Happy

All Replies
Cotterpin
Tuning in
Message 2 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Now down to 1 Mb/s!

Last time I phoned the help line in India I was told slow speeds (1 Mb/s) are to be expected at peak periods. What to do?

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Whereabouts in Area 01 are you? Anywhere around Liverpool/St Helens/Wigan? If so, it may be a "high utilisation" problem which will cause speeds to drop at peak time, as there isn't enough bandwidth to meet the demand.

0 Kudos
Cotterpin
Tuning in
Message 4 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Yes, Wigan area.

Is VM doing anything about this high utilisation do you know? If there is no fix coming I'll look at going back to BT.

0 Kudos
Parki79
Rising star
Message 5 of 29
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I am in Golborne and I have the same issues at Peak time. There is a fault for it in my area which is due to be fixed in April but they tend to push these back3 months at a time and never fix them. I have relatives in Goose Green with the same Utilisation issues. Both different utilisation fault codes but both have been open for over a year with little sign of them actually doing the required works.

They may do them eventually but you should phone up and double check its utilisation and if so a refund for your services.

cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 29
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Cotterpin wrote:

Yes, Wigan area.

I don't know about Wigan but in St Helens we've had a utilisation fault since January 2015 and nothing has been done yet. Before this we had another utilisation fault which lasted 23 months.  

Are your speeds good during the day? If so it's definitely utilisation and I would suggest going back to BT as these faults take months if not years to fix.

Cotterpin
Tuning in
Message 7 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Who do I connect for a refund given that the help line goes to the India call centre.
0 Kudos
Parki79
Rising star
Message 8 of 29
Flag for a moderator

What area are you in. Post the first part of your post code and it might be a problem area. Phone 150 and get them to check your connection or wait for someone to look into it on here. If it's utilisation it may take years to fix.

0 Kudos
Cotterpin
Tuning in
Message 9 of 29
Flag for a moderator

I'm in post code WA3, Lowton.

0 Kudos
Parki79
Rising star
Message 10 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Not seen many people complaining in Lowton abot utilisation. Most of Golborne is suffering so chances are it is the same.  Unlikely to be a quick fix, so will have to make do with the slight reduction in what you pay while they drag it out. If enough people complain they might decide it is worthwhile though.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos