Menu
squall-loire
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Slow speed (10%!) at peak times. Oversubscribed AGAIN?

As the title says, my internet (NR3 area) is slowing to a crawl every evening to a maximum of half the advertised speed, and tonight is running at a mere 7MBps as opposed to the 70MBps I'm supposed to get. This slow speed is joined by occasional packet loss as well as high jitter and ping, even when no computers are using the network. Power and SNR levels are all within acceptable ranges.

Those of us who've been with VM for a few years will recognise these symptoms, they are typical of an area being oversubscribed. There are more customers connected than the infrastructure can handle, and the moment the work day ends the system gets overloaded and we're dragged back to speeds from nearly a decade ago. 

When can we expect this to be rectified? Last time these symptoms showed up on such a regular basis it took months to be dealt with. 

bilsner
Tuning in
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow speed (10%!) at peak times. Oversubscribed AGAIN?

I have had the same here (area 03) on and off for 5 years, I'm getting less than 3Mb/s at the moment. Somebody with the proper experience ought to start a class action lawsuit against this lot, they are selling a service they don't have and many of us have been ripped off for hundreds, even thousands of pounds for a service we've never received.

If the PPI ambulance chaser lot switched their attention to this issue, I would actually answer the phone, that's how irritated I am 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hello squall-loire,

Thank you for posting and I'm very sorry to hear this is happen I can understand it must be very frustrating.

I have been able to locate your account to run a couple of checks and I can confirm work is being done to get this issue resolved. Upgrades are being done in your area to support the increased demand for our services and once this has been completed the issue regarding slow speeds at certain times of the day particularly peak times will be resolved.

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience this is causing and someone will be in touch shortly to provide updates and discuss credit options.

Kind regards

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

thelion
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Virgin have taken over 2 years to upgrade my area SE18  and whats worse the more people they con to join them the slower it gets because they have not upgraded the network and i have noticed that there is no upgrade date on my account page 

0 Kudos
squall-loire
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I appreciate the reply but it's now been a week (two since the original post) and there's no change and nobody has contacted me about anything. 

0 Kudos
squall-loire
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

ST.png

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5763632078

Seriously, this is getting ridiculous.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi squall-loire, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you are still getting these slow speeds. 

As mentioned by Rose above, there is a fault at your address currently. 

The reference for this is: F003838677 and the next review date is the 28/12/16. 

We understand it's frustrating when you're unable to reach your full speeds but once the work is completed, you should see a huge improvement Smiley Happy

Apologies once again. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
thelion
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Why is this taken so long and we all know that a review date means nothing come december the same message it seems virgin media must only have about 6 engineers for the whole country
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi thelion, 

I understand it's frustrating having faults go on as long as they at times but the work required is very complex. 

It has to go through an investigation stage where we look at what work is needed, planning where we look at how to resolve things. This is the stage that usually takes the longest. We may need to repull cables, lay new ones, move a cabinet or even replace a cabinet. All of this work means we need permits from the relevant authorities. 

Once the planning is done, we need to look at costing. If the cost is to much then we need to go back to the start with planning. More often than not, the permits given are for certain times / dates to so this also needs to be factored in as well as then scheduling the work to be completed once everything is approved. 

As it stands, work looks set to go ahead in December for the above fault reference so fingers crossed this remains the last date. 

Again I am sorry and if there is anything else we can do to help, let us know.

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Smurff37
Dialled in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Ha ha ha, made me laugh this line,

"if the cost is to much then we have togo back to the start with the planning"

Hey Kath_F what about your customers who are paying to much for the **bleep**e service you are providing, can we go back to the beginning and claim all our money back from you, we just want what we are paying for and stop being lied to by your scripted responses.