Menu
booner99
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Slow speed 04 area

I'm on vivid 200mbps line and have slow speed in the evenings down to 9mbps. Can anybody let me know why this happens my speed is fine in the mornings.
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Slow speed 04 area

From what you describe, its over utilization. A combination of the following: VM signed too many people up / internet usage per customer has sky rocketted in recent years so the hardware can't cope until upgrade / underinvestement.

You will need a VM rep to confirm this and they are about around a week for a response currently. If it is over utilization they will give you a fault number which you can use to claim monthly credit, until the upgrade work is complete. This however does take a long time, think more around 1-2 years from when its first raised.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

deemart
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

i'm in 04 aswell 70meg and getting 1meg download and upload 5 meg ridiculous,,thinking of going elsewhere as fed up of using mobile to speak to someone in india who knows nothing

0 Kudos
tommey
Rising star
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Most of Area 04 is over sold so not enough bandwidth available at peak times just look at my thread been waiting over 2 years now for them to fix, if you are indeed suffering the same issue as me prepare for a very long wait and many many review dates.

If you do stay and they issue a F code make sure you ask for credit to be applied to your bills.

I do hope for your sake it's not the dreaded over utilisation....

This is the poor quality of my Superhub 3 connection Smiley Sad
My Broadband Ping - Vivid 200 Gamer

Fault reported 09/2014 - Fault ticket raised 01/01/15 - Changed to 05/15 -  Changed to 12/08/15 - Changed to 14/10/15 - Changed to 04/11/15 - Changed to 15/04/16 - Changed to 06/07/16 - Changed to 31/09/16 - Changed to 30/11/16 - Changed to 15/02/17 - Changed to 12/07/17 - Changed to 20/09/17 - Changed to 14/06/17 - Changed to 10/01/18 < 3 YEARS SINCE FIRST TICKET

However thanks to BT Fibre Broadband I can actually game without lag Smiley Very Happy
My Broadband Ping - BT FIBRE 80/20

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

From what you describe, its over utilization. A combination of the following: VM signed too many people up / internet usage per customer has sky rocketted in recent years so the hardware can't cope until upgrade / underinvestement.

You will need a VM rep to confirm this and they are about around a week for a response currently. If it is over utilization they will give you a fault number which you can use to claim monthly credit, until the upgrade work is complete. This however does take a long time, think more around 1-2 years from when its first raised.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

deemart
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

i'm in 04 aswell 70meg and getting 1meg download and upload 5 meg ridiculous,,thinking of going elsewhere as fed up of using mobile to speak to someone in india who knows nothing

0 Kudos
deemart
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

sorted mine,,there was a break in the cable wire from box in living room to modem,,got full speed now if that helps anyone
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi booner99,

Welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear you're having speed issues.

I've located you account and the good news is there's no network fault. I can, however, see an issue with your Downstream Power levels that's likely causing the issue. I've sent you a private message (purple envelope at the top right of your screen) so I can arrange for a technician to sort it out for you.

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
djpaulwalsall
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I am the same having stupidly low speeds after an upgrade on tariff, i used to get a constant 180-212mbps on vivid 200, now on vivid gamer200 i get between 12mbps-80mbps, why has an upgrade totally ruined my internet service.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hey there djpaulwalsall,

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear you're experiencing slow speeds. Are you testing your wireless or Ethernet connection? Ideally we'd like to see results of a hard-wired test, if you don't have a cable let me know. Do you notice if your speed changes at certain times of the day / night?

Catch you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
tommey
Rising star
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Most of Area 04 is over sold so not enough bandwidth available at peak times just look at my thread been waiting over 2 years now for them to fix, if you are indeed suffering the same issue as me prepare for a very long wait and many many review dates.

If you do stay and they issue a F code make sure you ask for credit to be applied to your bills.

I do hope for your sake it's not the dreaded over utilisation....

Fault reported 09/2014 - Fault ticket raised 01/01/15 - Changed to 05/15 -  Changed to 12/08/15 - Changed to 14/10/15 - Changed to 04/11/15 - Changed to 15/04/16 - Changed to 06/07/16 - Changed to 31/09/16 - Changed to 30/11/16 - Changed to 15/02/17 - Changed to 12/07/17 - Changed to 20/09/17 - Changed to 14/06/17 - Changed to 10/01/18 < 3 YEARS SINCE FIRST TICKET

However thanks to BT Fibre Broadband I can actually game without lag Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
booner99
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I feel your pain Tommey!

I am also on the over sold Area 04 and speeds are shocking on evenings.

Are you getting credit on every months bill as I have only received one and they have increased my price again this month?

I know a virgin engineer personally and said virgin not bothered to fix the problem just keep issuing dates to fob customers off because they have to spend money for more servers at merry hill exchange.

I just want What I pay for or reduced bill for my poor service it simple really.

Thanks for any reply
0 Kudos
tommey
Rising star
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

booner99 wrote:
I feel your pain Tommey!

I am also on the over sold Area 04 and speeds are shocking on evenings.

Are you getting credit on every months bill as I have only received one and they have increased my price again this month?

You used to get a credit each month but now it's given in lump sums that are supposed to cover you until the next review date, however they say they can only give 3 or 4 months worth of credits in advance so you may have 2 credits spaced out by 3 or 4 months if your next review date is more than 3 or 4 months ahead.

I know a virgin engineer personally and said virgin not bothered to fix the problem just keep issuing dates to fob customers off because they have to spend money for more servers at merry hill exchange.

They make the excuses about needing planning permission etc but we all know it's mainly due to money why we have to wait so long for any kind of fix pathetic really.

I just want What I pay for or reduced bill for my poor service it simple really.

I would be happy to receive 75% / 80% of the bandwidth I pay for at peak times is that to much to ask for? these days I am lucky to get 10% not good enough especially with all the ongoing latency issues due to the puma 6 bug and even that looks like we will all need a new superhub to fix it, I never will understand why we cannot purchase out own hubs like they do in the USA.

Thanks for any reply

Not a problem

0 Kudos