Menu
Davy200
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Slow slow WiFi

Hello A question that's most likely been asked 100's of times. I have upto 200 mpbs internet yet again tonight it's down to 5 mpbs again. I am on WiFi, I know you won't get the maximum speed when not wired but do expect a reasonable speed and not as low as 5 mpbs! Any ideas? Thanks
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
mattaddiction
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Slow slow WiFi

Hi Davy,

You say your on WiFi, have you tested the connection when it's slow via a wire?  Point been to rule out your WiFi running slowly, entirly possibly and that wouldn't be Virgins fault ?

(Have you looked at your local WiFi, i.e. what your neigbours have going on around you?  If you've got lots of other AP's around you then there is the possibility of these affecting your WiFi, that would of course be more noticable at peek times, when everyone is home using there Wifi.....

Also is your computer connected to the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz WiFi, 5Ghz is generally less used currently thus less likley to have interferance issues).

-matt

GameRazer
Dialled in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Stick a WiFi analyzer on your phone and see which channel performs best then switch your router to that channel (monitor it for a while to see if it's stable long term and check it periodically) There's plenty of analyzers available so I'm not going to recommend one, just google best WiFi analyzer for your particular phone. It may seem like a bit of work but it'll pay off and give you some idea where the problem lies.

All Replies
jiggy
Superfast
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Pop round that house that's on the advert, username and password is on the mirror and just use theirs, problem solved, they must get way more than 200 coz everyone's using it and they're all wireless as well, so VM can obviously provide the correct service and all these people on the forum are just **bleep**ing because they are losing a little bit of speed, we must have faith in VM.............................. Sorry I'm trying to keep a straight face but just can't, VM are **** and the sooner something official happens to them from ofcom or ISPA or whoever the better, I can't believe they STILL get away with this??? As usual businesses do what they want and customers are left up the proverbial poop creek without an acceleration instrument

0 Kudos
mattaddiction
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Davy,

You say your on WiFi, have you tested the connection when it's slow via a wire?  Point been to rule out your WiFi running slowly, entirly possibly and that wouldn't be Virgins fault ?

(Have you looked at your local WiFi, i.e. what your neigbours have going on around you?  If you've got lots of other AP's around you then there is the possibility of these affecting your WiFi, that would of course be more noticable at peek times, when everyone is home using there Wifi.....

Also is your computer connected to the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz WiFi, 5Ghz is generally less used currently thus less likley to have interferance issues).

-matt

Davy200
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Matt

thanks for the reply.

Both iPads are on 5G, laptop & phone on 2G. Not got a cable for the iPad and router in a different room to where I sit.

Good advise thanks, WiFi is the Virgin Super Hub, no idea about people around me...

Thanks again...

0 Kudos
GameRazer
Dialled in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Stick a WiFi analyzer on your phone and see which channel performs best then switch your router to that channel (monitor it for a while to see if it's stable long term and check it periodically) There's plenty of analyzers available so I'm not going to recommend one, just google best WiFi analyzer for your particular phone. It may seem like a bit of work but it'll pay off and give you some idea where the problem lies.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Davy200,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. Sorry to hear you're only able to get 5Mbps on the speed test. I appreciate this is a very slow speed.

I've managed to locate your account to run some tests on your connection. I see all the power and SNR (signal to noise ratio) levels are fine. The area usage is also looking good with the odd spike during in traffic but this is absolutely not a concern. In summary, I'm struggling to see what is happening.

I agree with you, 5Mbps on a 200Mbps is slow but we need to try and identify what is causing this. Ideally we'd need you to run a wired test with a PC or Laptop as this could determine where the issue lies. Don't forget a simple restart may also cure this.

If you find the speed is fine wired then it would point towards the wireless. You can try changing channels to see if this improves things. Instructions on how to do this can be found here.

Let us know how you get on with this.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
Davy200
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Rich

As much as you see no issues I'd like to say this has been going on for months/years. Engineers have been round and checked things out and always say the same as you. If it is the WiFi then it is your Super Hub so maybe it's faulty? Your tech's have changed channels without out and cure.

One engineer did say it was Virgin that was the issue, that you strangle the signal at peak times in different roads,he also said if everyone in the area complained then the strangled speed would be increased!

If right I have no idea but it does explain why I get this issue as well as neighbours!and going by most posts on here and other social media is the same nationwide!

If this is resolved is doubtful as I now read Virgin are to lay nearly a 1000 people off.........

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Davy2000,

Thanks for getting back to us.  If there is an issue with the hub that can be replaced, we'd just need to confirm an issue first.  Were you able to run a wired test as suggested by Rich?

I don't agree that there's a peak time issue, the speed isn't being 'strangled'.  It may be that there was an issue previously, as it looks like the cable you're connected to has only been set up in the past few months, but right now there's no peak time issue.  

If you could let us know the outcome of wired speed tests we'll definitely puzzle out what could be causing this issue.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
citycitycity
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I've received a virgin media update and it said

Hello,

You have asked us to keep you up to date on the problem which is affecting your TV service(s).

Fault Ref: F004225944

The latest update is: Our engineer is on site and they're working to fix the problem

We now expect to have this resolved by 18 February 2016 17:30

The Virgin Media Team

P.S. We don't pick up emails from this mailbox, so please don't reply to this email address.

I  decided to check my speeds as I believed I was still going slow. To my amazement I got a 116 ping and  2mps speed test.I just can't understand why this is happening i'm going to reboot again and see if this alters it again.my son has is wired and had him check if it was my laptop but he got a 179 ping and less than 1mps on is computer and is computer is not even a year old

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi citycitycity,

Thanks for coming back to me.

The 'strangling' you refer to would be down to how many users use the connection at any given time which is beyond our control. As explained above, I've checked this and this is not a factor. There's the odd spike now and again but this just lasts a few minutes. There's plenty of bandwidth for everyone.

I see the system is showing me the Hub has been online for the past 84 days. To start with I'd definitely recommend performing a reboot and retest the speed. If it is still slow then a wired test in modem mode will hopefully pin point the problem.

Furthermore, the fault you've eluded to is for the TV service so has absolutely no relevance to the broadband speed. 

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos