Menu
benjanyan
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Slow single connection/threaded speed

So I'm wondering; why is downloading something via a single threaded download is so slow on my VM connection? It's nothing new, it always has been but seems worse over the past couple of months.

I see this over speedtest.net:

Yet downloading a test file via wget from ThinkBroadband yields a disappointing speed:

2016-08-17 21:11:00 (1.37 MB/s) - ‘100MB.zip’ saved [104857600/104857600]

Running the same test on an OVH dedicated server in France on a 100mbps connection, I get (just to prove TB isn't likely to be the bottleneck):

2016-08-17 22:10:59 (11.2 MB/s) - ‘100MB.zip’ saved [104857600/104857600]

And also a TB speedtest - http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=147146918242813682752

Any other sort of single threaded download is the same. Downloading a Linux distro over HTTP is irritatingly slow whereas BitTorrent can max my connection out. Streaming video is also iffy at times. Is it congestion or just VM's way of keeping utilisation down?

P.S. Usual stuff - This is over Ethernet, my SH2 is in modem mode, I see this on multiple PCs (Windows and Linux). I'd leave VM over but my only other option is ADSL...

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow single connection/threaded speed

Welcome to the club. There's a few of us getting awful single thread download speeds. Have a look through http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Very-poor-HTTP-download-speed/td-p/3026879 but unfortunately after 8 months VM still haven't been able to solve the problem.

One of the forum support staff, Jen_A, is looking in to this fault at the moment and gathering evidence to pass on to the Networks team, so i'll send her a message to make her aware that you're also affected.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

cje85 wrote:

One of the forum support staff, Jen_A, is looking in to this fault at the moment and gathering evidence to pass on to the Networks team, so i'll send her a message to make her aware that you're also affected.

Its more of a misunderstanding method that was to improve things but the way it was done was not carefully looked at to keep the same level of fairness which is my guess.

0 Kudos
benjanyan
Joining in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

cje85 wrote:

Welcome to the club. There's a few of us getting awful single thread download speeds. Have a look through http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Very-poor-HTTP-download-speed/td-p/3026879 but unfortunately after 8 months VM still haven't been able to solve the problem.

Ah, it was a long read that doesn't fill me with confidence. 8 months in and the issue is only acknowledged by a few of the forum team?

legacy1 wrote:

cje85 wrote:

Its more of a misunderstanding method that was to improve things but the way it was done was not carefully looked at to keep the same level of fairness which is my guess.

Did I miss something? :s

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

benjanyan wrote:

Did I miss something? :s

No just that it seemly being done and having to reverse engineer the likely reason for this starting to happen going be the results in given areas.

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

i know some people have suggested it might be a deliberate form of QoS but whatever the reason, it has absolutely ruined the download speeds.

Even now at 11:30am on a weekday it took several minutes to download 300MB file from WeTransfer.com, a site which always used to be able to saturate the connection and download at full speed.

wetransfer-3.png

The download peaked at 34Mb/s, but most of the time it was around 10Mb/s. I'm on 200Mb so where are the other 190Mbs? it seems they only exist on speedtest.net 

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Somewhere a router (VM network or beyond) is Egressing at max and QoS in a given way thats not idea for a mass network which can unfair the bandwidth between connections due to the method.

In short if a number of people in a given area that this is happening to and do a stream download at the same time the number of TCP connection per steam download client that impacts another person using one TCP connection more then it should.

I tried my best to explain this here.
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Very-poor-HTTP-download-speed/m-p/3058598#M103192
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/An-appeal-for-speed-test-results/m-p/3147703#M119518

and the reason it was tried is in short at a given route their might not be that much bandwidth to go round but say you did a download and gaming through the same route well the simple QoS would give you fair amount of bandwidth for your IP in one flow but thats everything so you buffer on or in route which you wouldn't if you didn't download and just gamed so yes it complicated. But again this is just a guess.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi benjnyan,

Welcome to our Forum though apologies for not reaching your post sooner.

This issue, that of slow single stream HTTP downloads, has been flagged at the start of this year.

It was escalated at the time but eventually closed as a non fault - single stream downloads had always been slow we were told.

However, as this seems to be something that was noticed this year I decided (at the nagging and extreme patience of Cje85) to look into this matter further. The underlying common denominator seems to be the Motorola chassis and, with this in mind, I have submitted a new fault ticket to Networks for inspection - ref: F004710014.

I cannot foresee the outcome of this and can make no promises. But I shall keep you updated on what happens. Feel free to post comparitive speedtest.net and thinkbroadband.com speed results if you wish Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

legacy1
Hero
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Jen_A wrote:

It was escalated at the time but eventually closed as a non fault - single stream downloads had always been slow we were told

Assuming this QoS gear is not in VM network that's causing this because if it is the business setup over GRE for static IP's is going to be hit and you set that as high priority then you hit everyone all it takes is a DDoS to a business static IP and it will go down as high priority over the GRE that other Consumer customers are on the same channels in a area to bring the speed down.  We have seen speeds go so low that you will not be able to steam video unless steaming video has many TCP links...I'm sure someone will work it out...

0 Kudos
watercooled
Up to speed
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Jen_A wrote:

Hi benjnyan,

Welcome to our Forum though apologies for not reaching your post sooner.

This issue, that of slow single stream HTTP downloads, has been flagged at the start of this year.

It was escalated at the time but eventually closed as a non fault - single stream downloads had always been slow we were told.

However, as this seems to be something that was noticed this year I decided (at the nagging and extreme patience of Cje85) to look into this matter further. The underlying common denominator seems to be the Motorola chassis and, with this in mind, I have submitted a new fault ticket to Networks for inspection - ref: F004710014.

I cannot foresee the outcome of this and can make no promises. But I shall keep you updated on what happens. Feel free to post comparitive speedtest.net and thinkbroadband.com speed results if you wish Smiley Happy

How did ref F004710014 progress? I'm not sure I agree that single stream downloads have always been slow (from ~10 years of being on VM/Telewest myself), but it's besides the point anyway - this doesn't happen on other ISP's networks and it's blatantly wrong to be claiming 200Mbps download speeds for things like songs, movies, etc when those are exactly the sort of thing you'll be stuck downloading at 10Mbps or so i.e. far slower than a cheap 40Mbps FTTC package from another ISP. But I know we're on the same page with this, it's just frustrating to keep hitting a brick wall on the issue.

In addition, I've asked a couple of friends from around the country to run speed tests and not every location is affected. For example take a look at this test: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=145452341923612785695

So why is it that some locations are affected and others are seemingly fine? That test is from the York area, with traceroute showing it connecting through Leeds.

0 Kudos