Menu
kieronapple
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Slow internet speeds.

So I have been told a long with many Virgin Media customers that there is a problem with broadband speeds and they are 'upgrading' and I have personally been told this won't be fixed till May.

I dont know if this is some sort of joke but that is more than unacceptable, I have also seen support members saying it hasn't even been reviewed yet and won't till March, to me this seems like Virgin Media aren't actually bothered about their customers and are just palming it off till they feel like it.

How are Virgin even being allowed to get away with this? As an ex Sky broadband customer I know this would have been resolved ASAP (usually no longer than a week).

PS. Good way of giving your director competitors Sky + PlusNet all your customers.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
kieronapple
Tuning in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow internet speeds.

Any updates on my area? Us customers are being left in the dark here.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi kieronapple,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I deeply apologise for the problems you've been having with broadband speeds. I'll happily check this out for you.

I can see from this thread you said you're near Manchester. I must make you aware that not all of Manchester and its surrounding area will be connected to the same cable. This means that you may be affected by a fault but someone a mile away will have no issues whatsoever.

I've not been able to locate your account via your email or IP address. I'll need your account information in order to give you a definitive answer. I'll send you a private message to obtain these details. To view this click on the purple envelope on the top right.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi kieronapple,

Many thanks for your prompt response. I've managed to locate your account to run some tests now. I'm going to bring the conversation back in to the public forum.

I can see the high demand fault you've alluded to. We're planning to undertake some upgrades to support this increased demand. This is being investigated under fault reference F004153492. The next review date has been set for 11th May 2016.

On further investigation I can see there is maintenance work going on right now. If you put your postcode in to our service status page here you will see an estimated fix time of today at 15:00.

The work carried out is to increase the downstream capacity at your CMTS from 8 to 16 channels. This will balance the load a lot better for you but it's hard to say how much of an effect this will have until it's all in place. Once this has been done it usually takes 7 days for the data to load on the system and that's when I can see if it has worked or not.

I'm going to keep this and check it tomorrow. I'll post another reply.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi kieronapple,

Thanks for your patience.

I've checked your account again and can confirm the maintenance work has been completed. Your CMTS has now been upgraded to 16 downstream channels. As previously mentioned, it's going to take about 7 days for all the statistics to filter through on the system so can't say for definite if this has cured your issue.

I've run some more tests on the signal and can see your 2 upstream power levels are also out of range. If they get too high then it could reduce the speed further or even drop the connection. An engineer will be needed to visit the property to get these put right. I'll send you a private message to arrange this.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
kieronapple
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Engineer came out today. Nothings changed, still pathetic speeds. Won't be renewing when our contract runs out in the next few months that's for sure.
0 Kudos
kieronapple
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

'BT working to fix nationwide broadband issues' - This from BBC news, Virgin take note!
0 Kudos
kieronapple
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

This is ridiculous, one minute I'm getting 30 Mbps, next I'm getting 150 Mbps. The connection isn't stable what so ever. What is going on? Multi billion pound company can't get it right. BT/ Sky/ Any other broadband company wouldn't allow this.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello kieronapple,

Thanks for getting back in touch, I hope you're well Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear that you're still having problems with your connection.

I've taken a look and I don't see anything obvious to explain your problems.

Are you having slow speeds on your wireless or hard-wired connection? Or both?

Hope to hear back from you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
kieronapple
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Still pathetic, my latency hasn't been stable for over 2 weeks straight.
0 Kudos