Menu
HappyHerts
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Slow internet speed

Hi since I installed the superhub 3 i've not been very happy with my internet performance and it's consistency.  The last 3 Sundays have been terrible - I have a 200Mbps VIVD service - and I'm getting less than 10Mbps - making streaming on multiple devices impossible and downloads at such a snails pace they're unusable.  Last Sunday the service cut off altogether for a couple of hours.

Whenever I go to the automated test on-line, it first says there are no known issues with broadband, then I ask it to run the test - it ALWAYS says something like "we're trying to fix it, please reboot in 10 mins" - I wonder if this thing actually does anything or if it's just a "placebo test".    When I phone it in there is mention of server upgrades in train and then tuning my service to give me a boost and then a suggestion we connect less things to the superhub (we have 15 items - not unreasonable in these IOT days - SONOS, Hive, phones, laptops and firesticks for a family of 5 soon add up).  Anyone else experiencing this and any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow internet speed

How are you connecting wired or wirelessly?

Do you experience slow wired speeds all the time or only during peak hours like evenings and weekends. It would be worth testing the speed during off peak to check whether there is a technical fault, as opposed to a possible contention fault.

I would bear in mind that 200Mbps is the total bandwidth available to you so it will be shared by all connected devices, so, the more devices you have connected, the slower the connection is going to be.

0 Kudos
HappyHerts
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi - wirelessly.   The service has degraded to a point of unusability recently on Sunday's.  Nothing has changed in our setup.  I understand that concurrent users share the bandwidth but while we have 15 devices connected at any time, typically only 3 or 4 are doing anything that drawers a lot of bandwidth - downloading software, streaming videos, gaming.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

you need to test with a wired connection. Wireless is effected by other devices using the same wireless channel. maybe you are not using alot of bandwidth over the wireless but who knows what people around you are doing on sundays.

Testing wired is the only way to know if its the connection or the wireless.
0 Kudos
londondesigner
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I'm in the AL10 area you might be in a "oversubscribed" area of Hertfordshire, I've been stuck with it for years now.  It's gotten worse recently though.

For example my 200meg BB is currently hit the dizzy speeds of:

Down 5.78 Up Mb/s0.78 Ping Mb/s38 ms

Really rubbish.

Their fault never shows up on their tests, although when I run the VM website service status test you just get a nice green tick and "Ok, we didn't find a fault with your equipment".

If you do suspect you might be affected by oversubscription in this area the fault I've been quoted is F003489544.  If you call them, i'm sure they can tell you if your in the same area, you can get a few pennies off the bill, but don't expect them to actually fix it - mines been around September 2015.

0 Kudos
HappyHerts
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

thanks for the comments - I'm in AL3 - I did get some indication that there was oversubscription and they might compensate me last week - and promises that an upgrade was in train.....but like you, I don't care about getting some money back....just want the service.

0 Kudos
HappyHerts
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.  I get the idea of testing on wired to isolate the problem between wired and wifi.  As VM own the router in this case, I'd expect that to be something they could troubleshoot and diagnose.  What I've noticed is the WIFI is generally less good than the previous router I owned for the last 4 years BUT that general intenet spped has degraded recently anyway.   

I was more shouting out to other people in Herts to see if they experience the same problem.   Are you a VM employee or just a helpful community member?

0 Kudos
pete7049
Well-informed
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

If the call centre was talking about upgrades, you can bet that you've got the dreaded over utilisation. Herts is riddled with it.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Over-Utilisation-In-Hertfordshire/m-p/3295690#M142326

F003443743. December '14 - May '17.
0 Kudos
HappyHerts
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

thanks....   Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
jaeb67
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Having the same problem, XL customer TV, Phone, Broadband boost 200mb throttled me to 2.79mb on weekends, unusable, trying to play on my playstation with wired LAN connection, impossible, not good enough come end of contract everything will be moved to new provider. I understand to make it fair for everyone that there are peak and off peaks performance of network, meaning I know speed will be slower on weekends and evenings but to render it unusable is not acceptable 

0 Kudos