Menu
adamf154
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Slow internet speed since i got new hub

upto november i was using an old modem and router that i had for years and never had a problem with the internet, then i ordered the new hub as i got an email which said i needed to upgrade.

So since then my internet has got slower, nothing on my pc has changed, there has been a few faults recently but everything is working again, if i load sites that has pictures it takes minutes rather than seconds to load pages and if i open say a load of facebook or instagram pages, they just buffer for a while and when you start scrolling down it just takes for ever and facebook pictures are alot slower than instagram, i use firefox and internet explorer

i got an engineer out a few weeks ago and he replaced an extension wire i had on my virgin wire and replaced the hub as it was getting slow speeds and but it was still not like it was before then he checked the wireless on his phone and pages were coming up quicker than they were doing on my pc, so he said there is nothing more he could do as it must be my pc, that is slowing things down.

so the other day i remembered i had a wireless usb stick, so i installed that and got the wireless working but the speed wasn't any better

so what else do we have, motherboard/processor, ethernet port, ethernet wire, hard drive

well its not the ethernet wire or ethernet port, as the wireless isn't any faster and i bought a new wire just to check it and it was just the same, my hard drive isn't that old and seems to be working fine and was formatted just 2 weeks before the engineer came out.

So that just leaves the motherbaord and processor, both are at least 7 years old, i have a phenom II x4 945 processor and i have 6 meg of ram. i am also using another pc and the speeds are slow on that also but the motherboard and processor are almost the same

so is it possible for the technology of the new hub to be to good for my motherboard and processor and make it go slower than it should.

has anyone else had a problem with older boards and processors or just seen here speed go alower since they got the new hub despite it working fine before

Thanks in advance for any help

0 Kudos
Dominatez
Up to speed
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow internet speed since i got new hub

What a load of rubbish the SO called engineer is telling you. A 7 year old pc would have at least a USB slot with no less than 100mbps.

The service is just down to Virgin. I have just got the new Superhub 3 and my Superhub 2 was working fine with speeds at 200mbps. They installed the new hub and lo and behold, the download speed will not go over 30mbps.

I contacted Virgin and they have escalated (As they call it) the issue to the Networking Team. I don't know why they won't adjust the download speed, and this will be the same issue with yourself.

Another simple test would be to borrow a laptop and hook it to the Superhub and then that will tell you for sure what the issue is.

0 Kudos
adamf154
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow internet speed since i got new hub

i have an Ethernet card which I am waiting on a wire so I can move things about a bit, then I will see if the wireless speed goes up with that, chances are the laptop could only be a couple of years old, I am looking at a new motherboard and processor so I can play newer games, but this is just making me think if I get it sooner then I will know that it is def virgin if its still slow

0 Kudos