Menu
wotusaw
Superfast
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Slow internet speed in AREA 20 (ST5)

Changed to Virgin Vivid 200mb download/20mb upload. This is supposed to be throttle free.

The connect is fine in the daytime(full wack 200mb/20mb) but in the evenings I get only 25mb/20mb.

Due to getting full wack in the daytime points to all my connections and wotnot being ok.

I got this to game in the evenings so not happy.

Why is this happening? Why so slow evening?

Paying something like £90 a month for this. Frankly disappointing.

Anyone from Virgin or a boffin able to offer up an explanation?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Slow internet speed in AREA 20 (ST5)

It sounds as though you may be in one of the areas that is oversubscribed and needs to be upgraded in order to cope with demand.

You can normally check this by clicking on the 'Service Status' link when logging into your Virgin Media account.  This would show if there are any known service issues in your particular area.

Virgin Media staff respond to messages on this public forum but generally take up to a week so if you need to speak to someone giving them a call will be your best bet.

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
0 Kudos
MikeyBoy81
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

He's a lucky one, I'm getting sub 10mb on the same 200mb Gamer package. Pings in gaming are out the window during random evening hours, but most especially 8-10pm.

I couldnt even say that downgrading to 50mb is worth it, as it all sits on the same network and congestion simply wont be improved as this has been a fault in Area 20 for years and now its finally hitting full on non operational at times in my house its time for a move.

0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I know it doesn't help with your broadband speeds but I assume you are not paying for your internet or having it heavily discounted due to the problems ?

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
0 Kudos

All Replies
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It sounds as though you may be in one of the areas that is oversubscribed and needs to be upgraded in order to cope with demand.

You can normally check this by clicking on the 'Service Status' link when logging into your Virgin Media account.  This would show if there are any known service issues in your particular area.

Virgin Media staff respond to messages on this public forum but generally take up to a week so if you need to speak to someone giving them a call will be your best bet.

-

0 Kudos
wotusaw
Superfast
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info. Looking at the other posts seems to me Virgin is heavily oversubscribed in very many areas.

This has only happened recently, since about a month or so. It would go down to approx 100mb in the evening before that but obviously 25mb when your paying for 200mb is unacceptable.

I've been with Virgin for years and years......and years. It's only recently I've lost my faith in their ability to deliver.

Anyway, I'll wait for a bit to see what happens and then decide on further action.

I will ring them, however I fully expect to be promised the Earth and possibly end up with a slightly dusty pebble. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
MikeyBoy81
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

He's a lucky one, I'm getting sub 10mb on the same 200mb Gamer package. Pings in gaming are out the window during random evening hours, but most especially 8-10pm.

I couldnt even say that downgrading to 50mb is worth it, as it all sits on the same network and congestion simply wont be improved as this has been a fault in Area 20 for years and now its finally hitting full on non operational at times in my house its time for a move.

0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I know it doesn't help with your broadband speeds but I assume you are not paying for your internet or having it heavily discounted due to the problems ?

-

0 Kudos
wotusaw
Superfast
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

That's terrible MikeyBoy81. Being a gamer myself realise what 10mb will do to your hit rates. It's very frustrating to fire at someone in say, Titanfall 2/COD/CSGO whatever and absolutely nothing happens!

Virgin is at present the speed king with the nearest competitor being BT at 80mb. My guess is they will possibly be oversubscribed as well, but dunno for sure.

Personally I'm not about money back or whatever, just want the 200mb or a reasonably near enough number to it.

I've considered it may be someone streaming huge amounts of data down for devious recording practices as it happens from about 9pm onwards, then stops at 12 midnight, But I'm not up on the technical details about that possibility.

0 Kudos
MikeyBoy81
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Well I've given up shooters at least for the moment, Rocket League is where im spending my gaming hours nowadays, but when you suddenly go from 30ms or so to 120-700ms randomly and/or consistently I consider this barely functioning, couple this with packet loss and its like the final nail in the coffin.

I myself have been a loyal customer for well over 10 years across a few addresses in that time and can say this progressively got worse over the last year, February being probably one of the worst times on record with several outages (total disconnects) on 120mb connection i had at the time. I rather stupidly thought if i upgrade to the 200mb gamer package I would be whisked to a better place. This in fact has made my situation worse, at least I had a semi decent ping on the previous setup.

The situation is at present simply a 'no no' in terms of gaming, with 3 children who also share the hobby its now out of the question for them as these problems arise the second they come home from school until after they goto bed, my shift work often puts me in the same boat.

I've seen several posts across the forum to piece enough together to see that this situation has been well exposed as many as 4 years ago, but never had it effected me until last 6 months with it finally coming to all time highs within the last 2. Virgins response is F0 blah blah error code and it will be reviewed in x date, to see that when the date comes its pushed back further.

Virgin are clearly stalling on doing the work regardless of planning permissions needing to be attained they have been aware for far too long for this not to be the case.

I sincerely hope your broadband woes are cured, I however do not hold the faith in this company at this present juncture to deliver the goods so to speak.

I fully intend to see how this connection goes tonight and if it is the same as it has been in present weeks I'll be phoning VM in the morning and then BT right after, at least they can deliver a reasonable connection that (Oh my god) works consistently. 

I apologise for my mini rant but I feel I needed a vent there Smiley Happy loyalty of over 10 years ruined in my eyes.

Mike

CH44 Area 20

0 Kudos
wotusaw
Superfast
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

MikeyBoy81. Your kind of like a mirror image of me! I did exactly as you did. Only I have one kid.

Got the gamer package for the same reasons and what's more, my son and I play Rocket league and have experienced the same problem with the ping!! Used to be 30ish now 250/300, what the!! At about 12 midnight it suddenly changes and I can get frags again easily but by then I'm really tired.

Like you thinking of giving up online gaming. Probably do the campaign in Titanfall 2 now as last night I put 5 shotgun bullets in someone in Titanfall 2, from behind and they just turned round and shot me dead!! lol.

Don't worry about the rant. Assure you I feel the same. Last night was foaming at the mouth. Actually looked at BT and SKY myself straight after posting. Like you at least 10 years with Virgin.

To be fair to Virgin staff, the money has to be there to upgrade their gubbings.

If it is'nt they are just left to placate customers and that's the limit of their power.....However, we pay for the Vivid gamer 200mb service and I expect that or near abouts and not 25mb....It's what they promised after all. I quote......

"Thanks to DOCSIS® 3 technology, VIVID can deliver speeds of up to 200Mbps which means you could download a film in just five minutes. The latest blockbusters, kids' films, classics, indies...get the whole family streaming HD movies online at the same time on multiple devices. It's what VIVID is made for. There’s no time to lose."

Yea, right. Tell this to the guy who blew me into the next dimension and laughed, after I shot him point blank 5 times(with a shotgun) in Titanfall 2 livefire mode...Bah!!

0 Kudos
wotusaw
Superfast
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Right.....found this in one of the posts here. It's by Samtheskull in the GAMING SUPPORT section.

"For the past few months I have experienced terrible lag whilst gaming, I have run speed tests, all come up ok. that is not the trouble.  the issue ( newly found out to me ) is terrible latency with the hub3 unit.  The issue is known worldwide, with countless posts regarding it available to view online.  google search :-  superhub 3 puma 6 latency 

apparently a workaround to this is to request the older superhub 2 to be sent out as it did not suffer the same issue as the hub3.

as previously said, I pay over and above to get a game connection, allowing streaming, gaming, watching videos etc with no issues.  this is not the case unfortunately.  

I believe nothing will be done to help me regarding my post as far too many people have had similar issues ignored.

the fix is apparently in the pipeline, but may take months to roll out to us end users. 

could a forum admin / moderator please respond to this to give me more information."

As I remember now, my problems started when changed over to the SuperHub3. Think it's a fair bet this is actually the real problem and oversubscribing being a nice little addition as well.

0 Kudos
wotusaw
Superfast
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Apparently a problem with the PUMA 6 CHIPSET. These modems are effected..

Arris SB6190
Arris TG1672G
Arris TG1682G
Arris TM1602
Super Hub 3 (Arris TG2492LG) (commonly - virgin media)
Hitron CGN3 / CDA / CGNV series modems:
Hitron CDA-32372
Hitron CDE-32372
Hitron CDA3-35
Hitron CGNV4
Hitron CGNM-3552 (commonly - Rogers)
Hitron CGN3 (eg CGN3-ACSMR) 2013 link
Hitron CGNM-2250 (commonly - Shaw)
Linksys CM3024
Linksys CM3016
TP-Link CR7000
Netgear AC1750 C6300 AC1900
Netgear CM700
Telstra Gateway Max (Netgear AC1900 / C6300) (Australia) 2014 link.
Cisco DPC3848V (eg »High latency/ping to Shaw router? )
Cisco DPC3941B / DPC3941T (commonly - Comcast Xfinity XB3)
Cisco DPC3939
Compal CH7465-LG / Arris TG2492LG (commonly - Virgin Media Hub 3)
Samsung "Home Media Server"

This was the case on 16/01/17. Not sure if a fix has been sent down the line yet. Intel was working on it.

0 Kudos