Menu
gthreepwood
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Slow internet in Abington Northampton

Hi.

Looking for some definitive answers on the network speed from Virgin in the Abington area of Northampton.

We moved in six months ago and received relatively slow speeds bottoming out at 4mbps during busy times and going up to around 20mbps every now and then.  I called Virgin a couple of times during the low service who reset my router and said that the speed should increase.  It did go back up to 16mbps after the first call, but remained slow after the second.  I called a third time after the speed started dropping constantly to 0.2mbps and was advised that there was a utilisation issue that started in January 2016 and would be fixed until April 2017.  They said there is a house somewhere in the area that hosts the servers and the equipment needs to be replaced, hence the long time-scale.

We received a text from Virgin the next day (11/01/17) saying the network issue is resolved and everything should be working fine.  It wasn't.  I called later that evening and was told that they tried to bring the fix forward but it couldn't happen (something to do with replacing cables in the roads).  The agent advised that the fix would be in April and told me that the service they are providing me is "effectively nil" (the agents exact words).  They have raised the issue further as they are getting lots of complaints and asked me to "hang on" as the issue may be resolved by the end of January.

The speed is still extremely poor (currently 0.5mbps down and 0.19 up) and after phoning Virgin again was offered a £10 discount which is laughable to say the least and that we are in contract till August.  Every phone call with Virgin lasts over 30 minutes and whilst the helpdesk gives confusing statements, they at least appear sympathetic and frustrated with the situation unlike the customer service teams.

I am extremely dissapointed not to be advised by Virgin when we moved to the new house about the on-going known issue, further dissapointed that it took 3 calls to even hear about the known issue and at a loss of what to do next considering we can expect these slow speeds for the next 3 months paying £35 for an "effectively nil" service.

So Virgin, what on Earth is going on?  What exactly is the problem? When is it going to get fixed?  Why don't you advise customers of issues as serious as this when they call to get broadband set up? And is there anything you can actually do to improve the situation?

I also found this forum post from December 2015 which I assume is when this all started: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Slow-internet-in-northampton-Abington-A...

And sign off in with the same hope as Peter, I look forward to a reply and some clarity. 

Jordan

0 Kudos
SiKi
Up to speed
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow internet in Abington Northampton

Another fault virgin has delcared fixed but from a customers prospective nothing has changed..
Virgin you wouldn't be fiddling the figures would you?? Very dodgy indeed..
0 Kudos
gthreepwood
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow internet in Abington Northampton

So service has improved a little now - but no feedback from Virgin as yet - so not sure if the threat to withhold payment had anything to do with it.  Service fluctuates like crazy but a definite improvement on NowTV/Netfilx..  Speed tests at peak times yesterday were around 4Mbps+, today 5Mbps (going up to 9 out of peak times) - still way below what it should be but now we have only slightly pixilated shows.  Hoping this keeps improving to advertised/advised speeds..  Games are still an issue as the connection fluctuates from second to second (wouldn't be so much of a problem if the overall connection was stable enough for QOS)..

0 Kudos