Menu
Neal-UK
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Slow internet - Burnley, Lancashire - Area reference: 20

Area reference:  20

Our speeds were good from installation day but now they are dropping down to 10Mb/s.  We aren't heavy users, but in the evening we are all struggling to do what we need to do due to the slow speeds or the internet dropping out.

These are wired connection (Not wireless) speed tests:

And now getting slowerAnd now getting slowerAnd now getting slowerAnd now getting slowerAnd now getting slowerAnd now getting slowerAnd now getting slowerAnd now getting slowerAnd now getting slowerAnd now getting slowerFirst joined VirginFirst joined Virgin

-----------
Utility Discussion Forums - www.utilities.zone
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow internet - Burnley, Lancashire - Area reference: 20

All of your slow tests shown appear to be at peak times, are you getting full speed off peak?

Slow speeds at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends) but full speed at off peak times is normally a symptom of high utilisation/contention in your area.

Somebody from the VM forum team should be along in a few days (up to a week) to check your connection and can confirm if there is a known issue with your segment of the network. If that is the case they should provide a fault reference and pass your details onto another team who should inform you about your credit options for the lack of service via a PM. They should also be able to provide a review date for the fault. Note that it is a review date not an expected fix date and some customers affected by this kind of issue have been waiting over a year for a fix.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

Neal-UK
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I hope they do something soon otherwise we're off.  We are struggling to all be online at once in the evening.

-----------
0 Kudos
bfc2016
Tuning in
Message 4 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I'm the same mate. Just down the road in padiham. Fed up with the excuses. I'm ringing back when the inevitable happens tonight but I'm extremely close to leaving had enough. High ping and similar speeds to you (it was 5mps last night!). You do expect a slight reduction at peak times but this just isn't good enough.
Neal-UK
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I think it's time to leave also. Only been with Virgin a month and this is shocking.

-----------
0 Kudos
Donnac38
Joining in
Message 6 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I am in Padiham paying for 200mb lucky tonight if we get 4mb. Spoke to virgin and they just fobbed me off. Looks like it's time to move if they can't provide near what I am paying for.

bfc2016
Tuning in
Message 7 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I'm in padiham also spoke to them today and they have recognised that it's a utilisation fault and couldn't give me a fix date. Best bit is if I cancel my contract it's over 200 pounds!
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 25
Flag for a moderator

bfc2016 wrote:
I'm in padiham also spoke to them today and they have recognised that it's a utilisation fault and couldn't give me a fix date. Best bit is if I cancel my contract it's over 200 pounds!

Follow the complaints procedure documented here:

http://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/Downloads/Consumer%20Complaint%20Code%20of%20Practic...

If VM won't let you out of your contract free of charge because they are failing to provide an adequate service then get the complaint referred to CISAS and they will probably rule in your favour.  Others have posted on here that the CISAS route worked for them.

Following the complaints procedure is unlikely to get your issue resolved any quicker as utilisation issues are not easy to fix quickly, but if you want out of a contract then that is the best way.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

DoItWithV
Tuning in
Message 9 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I am in nelson.. and the past few weeks have been terrible at peak times. I have also just made a post http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Over-Utilisation-Contention-Area-20/m-p/3287409#M140832

BuZ94
Tuning in
Message 10 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hey guys, I'm in Padiham too and experiencing the exact same problems/issues as you guys, so you're not alone. I've rang Virgin Media up and a guy answered and first tried to blame it on me going over a 600GB monthly fair usage policy, which is complete nonsense and trash-talk (Virgin Media is quote on quote "totally unlimited", so there should be no hidden monthly fair usage policy). Then I think he decided to tell me the truth about Padiham's Virgin Media services (especially their broadband internet services) being over-utilised (or over-subscribed in other words), which has only happened recently in the past few weeks or so.

Also, he couldn't easily fob me off with nonsense trash-talk because I was using techy language since I am a qualified IT/Computer technician myself.

My normal broadband/internet speed between 2am until 3pm

and here is my broadband/internet speed between 3pm until 1amish (pretty much peak time hours).