Menu
geoffbetter
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Slow in evening?

Hi, I've recently upgraded to 100mb per month speed, paying £35 per month. I've been perfectly happy with it  but just noticed my speed today has been around 10mb max. 

I called customer services to see if there's an issue and was informed that there's an issue in the area and that up until December my speeds will be reduced every night?? 

Now, I've had no notice of this works, and when I questioned the fact that I'm paying for 100mb and at the time when I'm home, it will only be around 10mb, I was kinda brushed off with "oh yeah I'll take care of it". 

To be honest it was a very difficult communicating with the agent and took about 20 minutes for them to understand that my broadband was in fact working, but just slow . Not to mention how rude she was. 

I'm amazed that I wasn't given notice of this, or been given any sort of discount. Does anyone know how I can discuss this with someone who has a better grasp of English? 

Thanks 

Geoff 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow in evening?

For more information, wait for a VM rep to reply here (takes about a week from your last post).

But from what you've wrote, you are in an area of over utilisation, which means that date in December is JUST a REVIEW date. Not a fix date of any kind, unfortunately the phone staffs scripts tell them it is a fix date but it never is and VM will not offer fix dates from other sources as they can't guarantee when it will be fixed.

If you get a fault reference number you can claim credit each month, but it is a smaller amount than you will expect (in the region of £10 per month)

As to notices, as over utilisation is something that will cost the business money, you will not be automatically informed (or credited) when something like this arises. Just like the speed upgrades, it's opt in for credit/information. It would end up costing the business too much if they did it automatically, and profit is profit these days for any business.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

geoffbetter
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response. 

Very strange though, as I've never had any issues before. Also why would they be trying to get people to take up the extra speed if they can't cope? I'm paying another £10 now and losing all my speed when I'm home (peak times). Perhaps I've answered my own question with the extra £10 per month. 

This is not good for me. Paying £35 per month for 10mb.I'd be better of with the most basic speed package. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Extra people signing up, different broadband usages (that generally go up in the bandwidth requirement). It all eventually hits a point where it becomes an issue if the infrastructure isn't 'futureproofed' a bit.

0 Kudos
geoffbetter
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Still no reply from any Virgin representatives on here! Spoken to them and was advised of over subscription and offered a £10 credit (poor) . 

Still no improvement and fed up with the 20 minute wait on the phone to try and get an update. Shocking service ! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@ModTeam

No reply in a long long time, can you guys give this chappy an update/correspondance.

@geoffbetter

think you slipped through the net somehow

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi geoffbetter,

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to the community.

My apologies that you are experiencing slow broadband speeds and for the late response. 

From checking your connection, I can see the high peak time traffic fault in your area that you mentioned. The reference number is F004214991 and the review date is 1st March 2017. As this is a review date, they are subject to change.

I will pass this across to my colleague who will be in touch with more information.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
geoffbetter
Tuning in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for you response but 1st March??? This was originally scheduled for 7th Dec. That's going to be around 6 months so far where i'm paying for 100mbs and getting around 6/7mbs at the times that I am home (evenings and weekends)

Personally I don't think a £10 reduction from £35 is anywhere near sufficient for a service that I don't even get 10% of. I could move to SKY for £15 per rmonth and get a lot faster guaranteed speeds. 

I've just spoken to somebody in customer services who was beyond unprofessional and advised that £10 is a maximum that can be applied as a discount because there's lots of people affected in my area?? Apparently the discount is on a sliding scale? I'm not sure how much worse it has to be to only be getting 6 or 7mbs from a 100mbs service?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@geoffbetter

March is only a review date (all dates you will be given are, even if phone staff promise they are fix dates, they ARE NOT) not a fix date so do not be disillusioned into thinking it will be sorted in march.

The discounts are on a scale yes, it depends on package size. £12.50 is the discount for 200Mbs, £10 is the discount for 100Mbs.

0 Kudos
geoffbetter
Tuning in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Yeah i'm well aware that its highly unlikely to be resolved in March.

It's shocking that i'm paying £25 (with discount) for a 6/7mbs service, when Sky are offering a 17mbs connection plus phone line for £15 perm month all inc. I wonder if they have stopped installing customers in my area if they are already aware of the capacity issues? I suspect not. 

Awful service and awful credit. I'm not sure any other industry could get away with this type of behavior,

0 Kudos