Menu
AnotherMug
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Slow in SE20

Hi there, very slow bb last few days in the evening(7pm onwards) like many I am on an supposed 50meg service and he last couple nights i have been lucky to get 5meg. Is this going to continue for long??
0 Kudos
AnotherMug
Joining in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow in SE20

An have of course done the usual re-boot etc. I am talking hardwired speed
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Anothermug,

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you're getting poor speeds. I've just checked your connection and can see there is a contention fault open in the area under ticket F004975943. This will cause poor speeds at peak times and is due for review 19/04/17. 

While checking your connection I also spotted that your downstream power levels are out of spec. This will also cause poor speeds and disconnections and we'll need to get a technician out to adjust this. I've just sent you a private message to arrange the best time. To view your messages just click the envelope at the top of the page.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
AnotherMug
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

Just to update you, an engineer did turn up bright and early as was arranged, he said there were power issues with the modem box and plugged a device in which brought the levels back to within tolerance. It seemed all fine and dandy until later and over the next few days the wi-fi drop outs were terrible and the speeds the same as before. I unplugged the device and at least now the drop outs do not occur as often. However the speeds have continued to to be poor (generally after 7pm, I have been logging my speeds at various times of the day for a while now) and I did ring your customer services team a couple pf days ago who did not seem to be able make up their mind as to what the issue was, after about 30min my call cut out (no idea why I was on hands free) and I was not really any better off. I am just now getting very frustrated like many others and find it cheeky that Customer Service tried to get me to sign up to a faster package but couldnt confirm that I would get a better speed at peak time!?

Please can you give me a better idea of the exact issue as after my bill going up and getting a 85-90% reduction in the service at the times I want to use it the most, is to be polite "a joke" and I am seriously looking to go elsewhere as me and my flatmate basically cant use it properly when it is needed!

0 Kudos
AnotherMug
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

As we now approach the 3 month mark with no member of staff bothering to respond to my last post, I will give this one last try.

To any member of Virgin Staff, what is the situation with "F004975943"?

Speeds at peak time have remained at comedy levels (a magnificent 2-3 meg), I am all to well aware that in about 3 weeks I am free to leave Virgin and whilst I am sure that I will struggle to get genuine fast broadband elsewhere, I would rather pay another provider less money for the same slow speeds. Like many others I do not have the time to keep checking broadband speed every night and saving them as proof of the poor service that is being received and will happily leave rather than speak to a call center (on my mobile, what fun) that has no idea what it is talking about and try's to sell products and services it cannot guarantee. (even plugging that power thing back in doesnt help)

It sort of reminds me of airlines that oversell their seats.

Anyway rant over, the ball is in Virgins Court

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello AnotherMug

Awfully sorry we missed your other post and you are still experiencing slow speeds. F004975943 seems to apply to a different cable and it does not look like you have moved, sorry about that. We would like to carry out some work in the area, the reference is F003277191 with a review date of 12 JUL 2017. I have updated your account notes so hopefully you will receive SMS updates. 

Thank you for your patience

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
AnotherMug
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nicola,

Thank you for the response, can you advise me what exactly F003277191 & F004975943 (the last fella said contention fault but that doesnt mean a lot to me) are? For all I know they are references to spare parts for a coffee machine!! Do I have 2 issues/faults!?!?!?

Having seen how long "reviews" of the various issues/faults take, it is unlikely that I will still be with Virgin by July as the service is more or less unusable when I need it most and £33 per month is way to much for a useless service.

If you want to reduce it down to £10-£15 a month I might be convinced to hang on until August but I appreciate this is less likely to happen than the issues being satisfactorily resolved by your mentioned date.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello AnotherMug,

Thanks for keeping in touch Smiley Happy

Okay so I can see that fault: F004975943 doesn't apply to you, I'm sorry for any confusion, you can disregard this fault reference now. When Nicola replied to you fault F003277191 was active but then on the 11/5 we carried out some work which has seen you move onto a different cable. With the cable you're on now, the usage isn't as high so you should notice an improvement. We would ask you to monitor the connection for a now and report back in a few days.

Speak with you again soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos