Menu
Rogue360
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Slow file download speeds?

Hi.

I'm on 50meg package and my speedtests run between 30-50Mbps via speedtest or DSLreports but my physical file download speeds are appalling. Right now it's 800KiB/s but averages around 1.5MiB/s.

This doesn't change over wired connection either.

Assuming my connection maxes out at 50Mbps, I should be seeing results of at least 4MiB/s download? I know there are varying factors, but it doesn't matter whether it's steam, my private work server or a website, all download speeds max out at 1.5. Why would this be? How do I fix this?

Thank you

-Pete

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow file download speeds?

Hi Rogue360,

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you're getting poor speeds. I've just checked your connection and can see no issues from here. Your power levels, SNR and area contention all looks healthy. I'd expect speeds to vary on downloads from different sources depending on their bandwidth though I agree full speeds should be attainable. When you download from these sources do you know if these use single streams?

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Rogue360
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi John. Thanks for the reply.

I've just tried to do 2 download tests. One from our work server, peaked at 1.6 MiB/S and a 1 gig file download test from thinkbroadband.com and that peaked at 1.8MiB/S. Two completely different places, both averaging the same speed. Unsure if they're single streams?

Oddly, my download speeds were fine before I was downgraded from Vivid100 to 50. Ever since then it's been poor.

Cheers
Pete
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rogue360,

Would you do me a favour please and run a couple of speed tests via thinkbroadband.com?

Their test includes a multi-stream download (6 streams simultaneously) that should provide us with the information we require. Your Hub is connected to one of our newer CMTS's so single stream transfer rates should not be an issue.

I look forward to your update Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos