Menu
Martynsimo
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Slow evening speeds

Sub 30mbps every evening while.paying for 150. Every evening.....are we being throttled down.....is the service unable to cope? I know it's up to speeds that are advertised but if I can only get those speeds off peak then I may as well pay for the cheapest slowest connection.....Pants!
Hazbin
Joining in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow evening speeds

Martynsimo wrote:
Sub 30mbps every evening while.paying for 150. Every evening.....are we being throttled down.....is the service unable to cope? I know it's up to speeds that are advertised but if I can only get those speeds off peak then I may as well pay for the cheapest slowest connection.....Pants!

You're not alone mate. I've been checking a lot lately and my evening speeds are sub 20meg. I'm paying for 200meg so I'll be phoning for an explanation, discount and failing that I'll be cancelling my direct debit and going elsewhere. I shall post back when I've spoken to virgin to see what **bleep** they spew this time !!

Hazbin
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow evening speeds

Well I got in touch with Virgin. After a 45 min call going around in circles proving the problem was 'their end'. The Virgin Media operator I spoke to admitted that there is high utilisation in the area. Work to improve the infrastructure to cope with this high utilisation will be ongoing until April 2017. To compensate for any further potential disruption they credited my account £46.24, which averaged about £12 or so a month up until April next year.
Why they haven't notified every one of their customers about any possible disruption to their services is because it is cheaper to wait until people like me phone up to complain and then reimburse them individually !!
When the operator realises you're not a 'silver surfer' they stop trying to fob you off with bull***t excuses and offer you some real answers. Try it, it's quite funny to listen to their stories but don't end the call until you've got some sort of recompense.
0 Kudos