Menu
thio7
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Slow download speed

2 months ago I noticed that my broadband speed is slow during evening and night times. And by slow I mean it's slower that my upload speed. I called support and they told me this is due to some performance issues they have in my area(Surbiton) and they are upgrading some of the infrastructure. I was told it will be fixed at some point in January and they gave me the a discount of 10£. I called support today as well in order to get the same discount (apparently I need to call in every month as the discount cannot be applied until the so called work is done) and the advisor today confirmed a new resolution date in February!! He also gave me an issue number F003912939 to get more details about the fault. Searching for that number in the forum this issue should have been resolved last May!! I ve been with VM for 5 years now and relatively happy so far. But this is ridiculous, paying 25 £ for speeds less than 7Mbps is outrageous! I had better speeds on my mobile when I visited South Africa!! Can someone from Virgin responsibly tell me what is going on and if this will be ever fixed? Also I would like to know why are you hiding this from your website.. I will escalate this when I get a chance as I feel this poor service I am receiving should have some consequences for VM. Thanks Yiannis
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Slow download speed

Over utilization. Too many people on the cable, all wanting too much bandwidth with the rise of streaming.

That's the issue.

Bad news is the date they've given you as a fix date is NOT a fix date but a review date. Their scripts tell them to call it a fix date when it absolutely is not.

The usual time for a fix is between 1-2 years.

It's 'hidden' as the checker does faults local to your post code. As the utilization hits slightly bigger than the postcode it isn't countered as a post code fault.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Over utilization. Too many people on the cable, all wanting too much bandwidth with the rise of streaming.

That's the issue.

Bad news is the date they've given you as a fix date is NOT a fix date but a review date. Their scripts tell them to call it a fix date when it absolutely is not.

The usual time for a fix is between 1-2 years.

It's 'hidden' as the checker does faults local to your post code. As the utilization hits slightly bigger than the postcode it isn't countered as a post code fault.

0 Kudos
thio7
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Shafreya

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. 

I asked them over the telephone if they can change my wire but the advisor said they have decided not to do changes like that as it will affect others...

Ridiculous answers with no real context.. I will be calling OFCOM first thing on Monday morning and I will also post my great experience in all VM's media channels I find.

Cheers

Yiannis

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@thio7

Ofcom are toothless when it comes to this, VM satisfy them as they acknowledge the fault and have a process for dealing with it which they can show. VM can also prove in most (if not all) cases of over utilization, that each customer can get full speed for over 50% of the day (usually customers can get full speed between midnight and 2/3pm) so the line is capable of it. Try CISAS as some customers get good results from them (not fixes but much higher compensation/ability to leave without penalty)

Rashpal
Settling in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Is there a way to fix this fault. From 12am to 5pm the speed is fine and I receive the 50mbs that I should get but from 5pm to midnight, the speed drops to 2mbs and even as low to 01mbs. I have rang VM numerous times over and over again and in august, they said the fault will be fixed on the 14th December which it didn't. Worst broadband provider I have been with and the customer service is shambolic. Highly recommend not signing up with VM. 

0 Kudos
Rashpal
Settling in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Is there a way to fix this fault. From 12 am to 5 pm the speed is fine and I receive the 50mbs that I should get but from 5 pm to midnight, the speed drops to 2mbs and even as low to 01mbs. I have ringed VM numerous times over and over again and in august, they said the fault will be fixed on the 14th December which it didn't. The worst broadband provider I have been with and the customer service is shambolic. Highly recommend not signing up with VM. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Short term no. There is nothing anyone on the forums can do, or the phone staff. It's a case of when the VM network team get round to fixing it (bear in mind they have a lot of locations that need fixing currently so it takes time).

0 Kudos