Menu
Skeye78
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Slow download in area 22

I have struggled with download speeds for a while now carried out speed test results below 

download 1.02mbps upload 5.89mbps

Not that tech minded but surely this isn't the 150 Mbps being promised

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
eggfriedcheese
Dialled in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Slow download in area 22

Hey Skeye78

This sounds like an unfortunate case of High utilisation in the area. The best way of explaining this, is that the network can support 'x' number of users, and there are more than 'x' currently using it, so the network can't handle the usage.

High utilisation is extremely complicated, in that it takes a long time to upgrade the network in the areas, as our networks (if you've seen a local exchange, you know what I'm talking about) are very complicated, and isn't unfortunately a case of just swapping a couple of cables.

If you're looking on the Service Status page on my.virginmedia.com, does this give any outage information? Would be worth posting the fault reference if so, so that the forum teams can investigate it quicker for you.

If this is High utilisation then you would be entitled to a month by month credit whilst the issue is ongoing. You can discuss this with the technical teams, by calling 0345 454 1111 or 150 from a virgin media landline.

Let us know whether this is a fault viewable on service status, and the forum teams may be able to give you a bit more info to possibly help (however, if it is utilisation, there isn't an awful lot that can be done unfortunately).
Dan
Views expressed are solely my own, and do not reflect on Virgin Media directly
If however you feel that my answer is helpful or informative, please click the kudos button below!
0 Kudos

All Replies
eggfriedcheese
Dialled in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hey Skeye78

This sounds like an unfortunate case of High utilisation in the area. The best way of explaining this, is that the network can support 'x' number of users, and there are more than 'x' currently using it, so the network can't handle the usage.

High utilisation is extremely complicated, in that it takes a long time to upgrade the network in the areas, as our networks (if you've seen a local exchange, you know what I'm talking about) are very complicated, and isn't unfortunately a case of just swapping a couple of cables.

If you're looking on the Service Status page on my.virginmedia.com, does this give any outage information? Would be worth posting the fault reference if so, so that the forum teams can investigate it quicker for you.

If this is High utilisation then you would be entitled to a month by month credit whilst the issue is ongoing. You can discuss this with the technical teams, by calling 0345 454 1111 or 150 from a virgin media landline.

Let us know whether this is a fault viewable on service status, and the forum teams may be able to give you a bit more info to possibly help (however, if it is utilisation, there isn't an awful lot that can be done unfortunately).
Dan
Views expressed are solely my own, and do not reflect on Virgin Media directly
If however you feel that my answer is helpful or informative, please click the kudos button below!
0 Kudos
Skeye78
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response, I have finally managed to speak to some one who knew what they were doing ! During a down load my speed dropped to 147Bps yes that low 131 hours to down load a 83kb file. They told me they had lost my router amazingly down load is now around 3.8 m so not bad at all. 

eggfriedcheese wrote:
Hey Skeye78

0 Kudos