Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18 (1,202 Views)

Slow broadband

Have been on the top bb package since April but have never achieved anything close to top speed. Was told there was a problem which would be rectified by September then December and now April. Sometimes download speed in single figures. Average speed is 40. No one will say what the problem is. Thinking of moving provider.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Superuser
Message 2 of 18 (2,378 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Somerland
‎04-01-2017 19:07

Re: Slow broadband

Problem is over utilization. Too many people in your locality trying to use the internet at the same time (peak times). As the technology supplying the speed to all the customers only has a finite amount of bandwidth you end up fighting neighbors for connection.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

All Replies
Superuser
Message 2 of 18 (2,379 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Somerland
‎04-01-2017 19:07

Problem is over utilization. Too many people in your locality trying to use the internet at the same time (peak times). As the technology supplying the speed to all the customers only has a finite amount of bandwidth you end up fighting neighbors for connection.
Tuning in
Message 3 of 18 (1,187 Views)

Thanks for your reply. Seems stupid, as a company, to offer something you can't supply. What's annoying is that every time I log on to my VM account I get a banner boasting how my speed has been upgraded.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 4 of 18 (1,180 Views)

We have never had anything close to 200mb even at non peak times. Max has been around 90mb in the early hours of the morning. 5.00am for example

Superuser
Message 5 of 18 (1,164 Views)

90Mbs indicates a hardware/software bottleneck. 90Mbs is VERY common.

Usually it's either the Ethernet cable (needs to be cat5e or better, and not damaged), the Ethernet ports on your device (if device manager shows them as FE and not gigabit that means it's only capable of 90Mbs), or killer network manager (software, check settings).

You should be getting full speeds at offpeak times if everything in your set up is correct.
Tuning in
Message 6 of 18 (1,102 Views)

Thanks again. I'll get things checked out. Strange VM have never flagged this up.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18 (321 Views)

Hey Somerland,

Welcome to the Community Smiley Happy I'm sorry it's taken a few days to get back to you and apologies for the slow speed issues that are affecting you too.

I've run some tests on your equipment and the local network segment, I'm pleased to report that the equipment is testing fine at the moment, though I can see the network issues that you've been informed of. There is planning work ongoing under reference F004134998, our engineers are working towards implementing broadband upgrades in support of an increased demand for our services in your area recently.

Once the work is completed you'll find that speeds return to normal during peak times. I've passed your details on to a colleague who'll be in touch with regards to your credit options for the duration of this fault, they'll also provide updates around the time of the next review date.

In the meantime, did you have any luck with the wired tests and investigating the bottleneck as Shafreya mentioned? Let me know if there are any ongoing problems with speeds off-peak. Feel free to bump this thread any time you'd like to check for an update on the progress of the upgrade work.

I hope that helps Smiley Happy

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 8 of 18 (316 Views)

Hi.

Thanks for your reply. We have been in  touch, again, with technical and they have run tests, reset the router etc. Off peak has improved slightly, speeds around 80mbs, peak times now even worse. Most evening around 9-10pm we are lucky to get more than single figures. Download has been below 1mbs on occasions making it almost impossible to get any real use out of it. I'll await further contact. Regards, Alan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Message 9 of 18 (288 Views)

Hi Somerland,

Thanks for getting back to me. It looks like we've identified an SNR outage in the area today, on reference F005000305. This is likely affecting things negatively at the moment.

Keep an eye on things the next few days, and if wired speeds are no better, I'd recommend running a speedtest with things as they are, then again in modem mode. Keep a note of the times and the speedtest results and post them back here when you get chance, alternatively you could post some screenshots or use the share link if you're running a test on speedtest.net

Let us know once you've had chance to test it further.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 10 of 18 (267 Views)

Hello. The download speeds have been reasonably stable over the last few days other than between 9.00 -10.00 at night when speed is in single figures. I would like to reiterate that this problem started last April and has got progressively worse.

Regards

Alan

Kev_B wrote:

Hi Somerland,

Thanks for getting back to me. It looks like we've identified an SNR outage in the area today, on reference F005000305. This is likely affecting things negatively at the moment.

Keep an eye on things the next few days, and if wired speeds are no better, I'd recommend running a speedtest with things as they are, then again in modem mode. Keep a note of the times and the speedtest results and post them back here when you get chance, alternatively you could post some screenshots or use the share link if you're running a test on speedtest.net

Let us know once you've had chance to test it further.

0 Kudos