Menu
ngrimes
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Slow broadband speeds

My router was updated some weeks ago and since then the problem of my broadband either dropping out or going slow has been a regular daily issue, more so since the start of the year.

I used to call the customer service line regular for a fix, which was both time consuming and frustrating, but only resolved the issue for a day or two but it never resolved the problem permanently.

I now regularly run the test programme, switch the router off and back on, etc etc and again for a day or two things are fine, then the same old slow problem happens.

I now am starting to question if updating my router was worth it and getting to the point of looking elsewhere for a service provider

Is it just me or do other Virgin Broadband user have the same issue and if so any ideas on what can be done?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow broadband speeds

Hey ngrimes,

Thanks for your post, hope you're well Smiley Very Happy

Apologies for the slow speeds and connection problems.

Can I ask if you're typically using a wireless or hard-wired connection? Have you ran any tests from speedtest.net?

Do you notice if the connection is worse at specific times of the day / night?

Please get back to us as we'd love to investigate further.

Thanks again.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
ngrimes
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I use a wireless connection and the problem occurred mainly during the day until the early evening throughout the week.

Over the last few days since I posted the comment things appear to have improved, but I will reserve judgement until a good period of time has elapsed as it may be just a coincidence rather than a fix

Kind Regards

0 Kudos
4x4
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The speed issue is never ending here.  I frequently get 20ish Mb instead of 75.  I had a new router becuase apparently the old one was a bit old and yet still the service is awful. It can briefly go off and that happens a lot.  They told me recently that because of demand the service was  swamped in my area so would be expanding the service. When they did the work I had to suffer outages and all sorts of irritation.

I try the chat line to report loss of speed and guess what, just like the broadband service it is either unavailable or no one is available to chat or it is evening and closed. Funny how the failures occur when no one is available. So I phone the next day and get told to phone when it happens. I would be on the phone every few days if I did that and when I do phone it is a long winded job and I have a life; they don't pay me to hold the phone to my ear for 30+ minutes!

When I do have time and I get through I get no real resolution to the problem. All the usual comments like reset the router. If you don't tell them they won't know but when I do contact them it makes no real difference; sooner or later the speed will drop again.

I pay for a service that I really don't get.

Apart from the speeds available there is nowt that makes me want to stay with Virgin.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello 4x4,

Thanks for getting in touch Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear about the connection problems you're having.

Would you please be able to provide some speed test results collected from a hard-wired connection?

I know this is frustrating and I want to help.

Speak soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos