Menu
coljtaylor
Just joined
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Slow broadband speeds after speed increase

Hi, ever since I received a mail from Virgin congratulating me on now receiving 200MB broadband speeds I've been getting consistent speed of < 50MB. Whilst this is not particularly noticeable for much of the time, it's a real pain when watching streaming video. Anyway, that's surely besides the point; I'm paying for 150MB, and would like to receive 150MB.

The speedtests are on a laptop 3 metres away from a wireless (n) router, which is wired into the Virgin Hub, so speeds shouldn't degrade greatly, certainly not by 200%, so I'm absolutely sure my speeds are considerably less than the 150MB I'm paying for, and the 200MB I've been told my connection is configured for. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow broadband speeds after speed increase

I would test the speed whilst connected directly to the hub by CAT5e ethernet cable (or better) with a device with a gigabit ethernet card taking the router out of the equation.

Wireless is affected by many factors which make it unreliable to test the actual connection speed accurately. (even close to the router)

0 Kudos