Menu
Ross333
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Slow broadband speed for So40 area

Hi everyone,

So yesterday we moved house and decided to take advantage of Virgin fibre optic broadband, something previously unavailable due to location before.

I game and stream films constantly, so decided on the 200 mbps connection.
On the day of the connection, everything went smoothly. However when I tested the speed via ookla, it was at 45 mbps...
As this was peak time I assumed it might be service throttling to accommodate everyone.

However after a late night test (4am on a weekday) it seems that 45mbps is indeed indicative of the speeds I am getting.

Is there anyone from the So40 area here that can confirm the same? Are we one of the regions destined for the fabled promised upgrade to the infrastructure that never materialises?

Even better, could someone from Virgin contact me? (I'm well within my cooling down period, and I'm seriously considering switching providers)

Thanks in advance,

Ross
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Slow broadband speed for So40 area

Hi Ross

Are you using a wired Ethernet connection to the VM hub or a wireless connection? Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors, so a wired test is the best way to get a true picture of what speed your line is able to achieve. It also helps to pinpoint if the issue is with the wireless or your line.

If you go to http://192.168.0.1/ (or http://192.168.100.1/ if you are in modem mode) to get the VM hub GUI. Don't login but instead click on Router Status which is either a button in the top right of the screen or a text link at the bottom of the screen depending on which hub you have. Click on the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log sections and copy & paste the figures from those screens and post them here, don't worry about the formatting or you can post screenshots if that is easier. Be careful to edit out or obscure any reference to your WAN IP or MAC address in the log to protect your privacy.

The community can have a look for you and see if anything in the figures looks wrong and advise accordingly. Or you can wait for the VM staff to pick up this thread (can take up 7-10 days) and run checks on your line.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Ross

Are you using a wired Ethernet connection to the VM hub or a wireless connection? Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors, so a wired test is the best way to get a true picture of what speed your line is able to achieve. It also helps to pinpoint if the issue is with the wireless or your line.

If you go to http://192.168.0.1/ (or http://192.168.100.1/ if you are in modem mode) to get the VM hub GUI. Don't login but instead click on Router Status which is either a button in the top right of the screen or a text link at the bottom of the screen depending on which hub you have. Click on the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log sections and copy & paste the figures from those screens and post them here, don't worry about the formatting or you can post screenshots if that is easier. Be careful to edit out or obscure any reference to your WAN IP or MAC address in the log to protect your privacy.

The community can have a look for you and see if anything in the figures looks wrong and advise accordingly. Or you can wait for the VM staff to pick up this thread (can take up 7-10 days) and run checks on your line.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

Ross333
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

That was some great advice, thank you.

After some settling (I assume the system adjusts gain to maximise SNR) it appears my speed is now closer to the 140mbps range, which is much more acceptable.

Luckily I haven't had to delve into the router, although I probably will at some point (I'm an electronics engineer, and I can't help myself).

Thanks a lot for the reply, very much appreciated.

Ross
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

No worries Ross, glad to hear things are looking better.

Cable connections, unlike ADSL, don't usually need time to settle.  Maybe just a temporary issue in your area that has now been resolved.

If it starts looking bad again then post some hub stats and I'll try to help if I can.

0 Kudos