Menu
BarryS1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Slow broadband since 70 mbs speed boost

I signed up for the free 70 mbs speed boost and was notified this morning (12/2/2016) it was all set up. I was on the 30 mbs which had the previous speed boost to 50 mbs and was getting around 32 mbs download speed, upload around 1.67 mbs. When I checked this morning to find what I was now getting, I was shocked to see that the download speed was only 17.25 mbs. The upload had increased to 6.25 mbs. During the day the download speed has varied up and down, but not anywhere near what I was getting. I ran the test from the site which stopped and said there was a problem and they would sort it out, but no joy yet. I phoned customer service from my mobile, the lady said she would notify an engineer, but I've heard no more. I even popped into the VM shop in town, but they old me I am on the 30 mbs plan and that they do not do a 70 mbs plan, then proceeded to try to get me to upgrade to 100 mbs plan at which point I walked out. Why would I upgrade to the 100 mbs plan if you can't make the 70 mbs speed boost work. It is starting to look like I will have to change service providers. My contract run out over a year ago, so it will be very easy.

Tags (4)

Helpful Answers
BarryS1
Tuning in
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Slow broadband since 70 mbs speed boost

The problem has now been resolved, hopefully my next problem wont have everybody stumped and left speechless.

deanebed
Tuning in
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Sounds about right, something fishy is going on like swapping around some of the bandwidth as mine although on 150mbs often drops to around 45 about one third of what it should be, fed up of restarting the router, the highest I ever got was about 114mbs but now average 95mbs out of 150, yet before when on 100mbs i was getting about 95mbs, I think there was a ploy to go vivid to re-adjust their allowances to individuals.

All Replies
BarryS1
Tuning in
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The problem has now been resolved, hopefully my next problem wont have everybody stumped and left speechless.

MikeH71
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Strangely I have a similar problem. I'm due the 70mb, but my speeds start decaying around noon.

I do a speed test then and I'm half what I should be,. In the evening it is barely useable.

at 21:45 I ran a test after trying the online "test my router" and I'm now getting 350+ ping, 0.37 download, but upload fine at 3.

I had a Virgin engineer remotely take over my PC (Hard wired) who confirmed an issue and refunded the month. Doesn't sort the issue mind.

I thought it may be scaling due to the hidden fair use policy, but that has changed to upload only.

7.5gb dl (Wife & kids stream a lot) and 350mb ul over 24 hrs. Fair use only scales if you cap 1gb in an hour.

The remote engineer also mentioned an unresolved issue in the area dating back to Oct 2014. Something requiring planning permission.

Shows how fast Virgin act really Smiley Wink

Did you find out what was actually causing the issue and a way to resolve it?

Mike

BarryS1
Tuning in
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike,

It did get resolved, not by me though. I went into the Virgin shop in town, told them the problem, they suggested I upgrade to Vivid 100 and get the Superhub 2. My reply was, if they can't make the 70 mbs boost work, why the hell would I pay for an upgrade and probably get the same problem. I then told them I had had a good offer from EE and may as well swap to them. The guy then phoned an engineer, I think, and spoke to someone and after a short while said that it would be looked into. Later that evening I ran a few speed tests and it was up and down speed wise, then about 10:30 pm my hub was switched off remotely and restarted. I have a laptop, so I ran a speed test on WiFi and I was getting about 47 to 48 mbs download and 5 to 6.5 upload. I then connected to the hub with an ethernet cable and the download shot up to around 65 mbs. It did cross my mind that maybe this is happening to so many customers that you just have to make enough of a fuss to the right person to get pushed up the queue. 

Hope you can get yours sorted. One thing is for certain, the problem is there end and anything you try at your end will make no difference.

Good luck and kind regards,

Barry

MikeH71
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply Barry, I'm putting it down to a very dodgy marketing campaign for Vivid. Too many people on the Forums are talking about having random marketing calls shortly after their having speed issues.

Just ran a test now and it seems almost stable. So yes, a fuss in the right place seems to get things noticed.

Kudos to the community guys mind, it's the second time they seem to have had an input that puts the telephone guys to shame.

mark3e
Just joined
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I'm only getting 7 at the moment and it up and down on and off

BarryS1
Tuning in
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mark,

Wow, that is slow. You don't mention if you have spoken to Virgin about the problem. I tried phoning, but that was a nightmare with all the menus I had to go through. I found the easiest way to get straight to customer service was by text chat from my virgin account page. If you sign in to your account, at the top of your account page, click on Service Status. That will take you to Help & Support. At the bottom of the page, click on Contact Us. That will take you to the Contact Us page, in select topic, click on Broadband, a box will pop out, select Slow Broadband, another box will pop out, at the bottom of the box are the options to Phone or Chat online. You actually get to talk, by text, to a human. They may be able to help, but if you don't speak to customer service, you may well find that will be the first question you will be asked if you go into your local VM Shop.

Just a thought, but as it's that slow, have you turned the hub off and then back on. When you turn it off, leave it about a minute before you turn it back on. That should ensure the hub has selected the best channel.

Good luck and regards,

Barry.

MikeH71
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I spoke too soon, no change at all for me.

Just spoke with VM and the information provided pieces together as follows.

Certain areas are not equipped to service the new vivid customers. So what they do is reallocate your bandwidth to keep everyone else happy.

They don't have a download cap, but the VM guy said people are using more than they should. That being the reason that 90% of my bandwidth is being reallocated back into the system. 

This isn't an assumption, it is as explained. Over allocation doesn't mean too many customers, it means they can't handle the packages they are supplying. The service date for a supposed issue in my area (20) has been ongoing since Oct 2014. It was Feb 22nd the other day, today it has jumped to May. VM will refund my BB each month so long as I call them, otherwise nobody will let you know and they will keep taking your money. The problem will only go away if you sign up to a vivid package (even they are being mis sold at present) or leave VM.

deanebed
Tuning in
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Sounds about right, something fishy is going on like swapping around some of the bandwidth as mine although on 150mbs often drops to around 45 about one third of what it should be, fed up of restarting the router, the highest I ever got was about 114mbs but now average 95mbs out of 150, yet before when on 100mbs i was getting about 95mbs, I think there was a ploy to go vivid to re-adjust their allowances to individuals.

Diogovecci
Just joined
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Same thing happened to me I upgraded to 200 mbps but mine is much worse im get 2.7-3 at max.