Menu
MJHarrison
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Slow broadband in Herne Hill

Hi - I'm new here, and just hoping for some help trying to get to the bottom of a problem I've had with our broadband for what seems like forever. We upgraded to 100mbps in January; since then, the fastest speed we've had has been 62 and that only once, back in February. Since September it hasn't been over 55 and is usually somewhere around 20-30. Tonight it is 5.5mbps. I telephoned Virgin a few weeks ago and was told there has been a fault in the area since February and it won't be resolved until December. This seems ridiculous. Has anyone else been told the same?

At the same time as I was being told about the fault - which Virgin has known about for nearly a year but didn't mention to me until I enquired about the problem - I was told my connection would be upgraded for free to 150mbps. Which is a lovely dream. It would be more reassuring if Virgin could get to 100 first before boasting about how much faster it is about to be!

Our contract expires in January, and I am seriously considering switching to BT. They 'guarantee' 76mbps, which I am sceptical about, but frankly anything is better than the service currently being provided to us by Virgin.

Are we just unlucky or are others in the Herne Hill area experiencing similar?

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts!

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow broadband in Herne Hill

Hi MJHarrison,

I am sorry to hear that you've been experiencing slow speeds since upgrading in January, I can appreciate this must be frustrating for you so apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I've tested your connection and I can see that we're planning to undertake some upgrades to parts of our external network in your area, these upgrades will be to improve bandwidth and performance during peak hours.

The reference number is F003564970 and is currently set for review on 27/01/16 as they are currently awaiting some pre upgrade works to be completed before they carry out the capacity upgrades.

If you require any further updates on this issue just post back here closer to the date and we'll gladly take another look for you.

Speak soon, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
wlodi
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello there,

I'm also experiencing the same issue with my broadband in Herne Hill. In the last week, this has become really unbearable, my broadband speed was below 10Mbps in the evening hours, which is ridiculous (I'm paying for 100Mbps). I phoned in to your helpdesk and heard there's currently a high utilization issue and was quoted F003564970 ticket number.

I'm appalled to see that this issue has been going on for almost a year (I've seen forum posts mentioning this back in February). Why does Virgin not notify its customers that there's an issue in the area is beyond me - your website says that there's "no reported issues" with the broadband, running tests doesn't indicate any problems either. I feel like I've been ripped off with my payments. Your customer service rep has applied a credit to my account for issues until the review date, but I would like to enquire about getting a credit for the last few months as you clearly knew about this issue, yet didn't take any action to inform me about this.

I would appreciate a response.

Many thanks,
Peter

0 Kudos
Julian88
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I see I'm not the only one suffering:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/LONDON-SE24-Months-of-slow-intermittent-connection-with-c...

That makes at least three of us with similar issues in the SE24 area - and at least you've had someone from Virgin reply in this thread!

0 Kudos
MJHarrison
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi

So, today I received a (private) message from Virgin, saying that the problem hasn't been fixed (doh) and there might - not will - be some work done in the next few weeks, so that it is fixed by......  20 April. Some 14 months after it began.

I don't think Virgin are taking this terribly seriously. We're existing customers and we don't count as much as new ones, perhaps because people rarely switch providers. So I've asked for information about doing so - why should I have to do all the work? - and for the contact information for the regulator. Perhaps if people start to complain formally about breach of contract that might get some attention.

Let me know if you're interested in hearing what happens next...

0 Kudos
priwille
Just joined
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Slow broadband in Herne Hill

Hello there,

We are already in July 2017 and I'm still experiencing the same issue with my broadband in Herne Hill (many times below 10Mbps in the evening hours). I phoned in to your helpdesk many times since we started as a client (June 2016) and the same issue for more than 1 year - fault in the area/repair scheduled for the next month.

I'm appalled to see that this issue has been going on for almost two years now (I've seen forum posts mentioning it from 2015!). Why does Virgin not notify its customers that there's an issue in the area? We need to call evey single week to get a credit in our account? My last bill came almost £50.. so no credit again... I feel like I've been ripped off with my payments since the beginning. Your customer service rep has applied a credit to my account twice but I would like to enquire about getting a credit for the last few months as you clearly knew about this issue, yet didn't take any action to inform me about this.

I would appreciate a response.

Many thanks,
Priscila
0 Kudos
NHS
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi there all at Herne Hill who use Virgin Media.

The service provided by the Company is still bellow standard and of coarse bellow the advertised spee.

I have complaint repeatedly since August 2017 with no effect.

On the 30th of October the broadband again was not working at all.

If other people have the same issues then maybe a group could be formed to voice the complaints.

Any takers?

Nikos

0 Kudos