Menu
garageburt
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Slow broadband, can be very slow

I'm signed up to the 200mb broadband. On tests I used to get 100mb plus on most checks and sometimes 150mb or so. Was happy with that. But for the last month or so I've been lucky to get over 20mb. If I'm paying for the fast speed why am I only getting a slow service. I've checked all connections and reset everything but it doesn't seem to have improved anything. Don't want to spend hours talking on the phone to get no result. Anyone got any ideas what I could do to improve it. 

Seriously thinking of ditching virgin and going to sky as have had lots of little issues recently, slow TiVo box, TiVo locking up, pixilated picture, slow broadband, broadband dropping out. For what I'm paying I would expect a much better service.

Kizza-1974
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow broadband, can be very slow

Got similar issues, seems to be Virgin over subscribing their network. The lead time on repairs gets pushed back everytime you call as well, mines gone from 7th November to the 23rd Feb 2017. Not good at all, if you can jump to another provider I would.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hey garageburt,

Welcome to the community Smiley Very Happy

Sorry about the slow speeds you're getting at the moment, I don't see a fault in your area right now so I'd like to ask a few questions.

Are you using a wireless or a hard-wired connection to test the speeds? Do you notice if the speeds change at certain times of the day or night? Are you experiencing slow speeds on multiple devices?

Hope to hear back from you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
garageburt
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi. I have tested the speeds at various times of day and night. It's usually around 20 with it occasionally being around 70. Sometimes tho at peak times it can be as low as 2 or 3. When it is very slow it can have trouble managing with streaming video. I have just tested from my iPad , 6.15pm, and got 20mb. Not bad but not good either when we are paying for the up to 200 service. I have mainly tested wireless on iPhone or iPad but I have tested on a wired pc directly to the hub and it is not usually much better. I have just done one and got 24mb. Upload speed is always 10 - 12, but download varies a lot. I used to get 100 plus, even 150 at times, even during the day. But for the last few months I rarely get above 20 or so. My son has just signed up with sky and is paying for an up to speed and getting close to that speed at most times. And paying a lot less than we are.

and just to add that the virgin TiVo box seems to be struggling too since the software upgrade in the summer. Very slow moving thru the menus. If things don't improve I will seriously be looking at changing after xmas.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi garageburt, 

Thank you for responding to us!

With regards to what you said about it being slow at all times of day, I tested your connection and I noticed that all of your downstream power levels are too low and will need an engineer to attend in order to resolve this. This will explain the slow speeds you've been experiencing.

I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required to proceed with making the booking. Please respond to me there and I'll get this all booked and secured for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos