Menu
CazD76
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Slow Vivid 200 Optical Fibre

Hi,
I have the VIP Bundle package at over £100. The wifi broadband speed can be very slow and not loading pages. We pay for up to 200Mbps...so you would at least expect 150Mbps off peak. But I am getting....

Download speed 27.75Mbps
Upload speed 5.95Mbps

I think if you are paying for a service you should get it and if you are not then the company that you are paying that service for should sort the problem. Or give customers free wifi signal boosters.

Regards
0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Vivid 200 Optical Fibre

No ISP guarantees wifi range or wifi speed due to the complexity of peoples homes, you need to do some tests to find out if its a virgin issue or its your setup
0 Kudos
CazD76
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Set up is fine. We only had it installed last week by a Virgin engineer
0 Kudos
CazD76
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have also notice that a lot of customers in my area 21 are experiencing the same problem. So it isn't just my wifi.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You need to do speed tests with a wired connection to the hub, that's the only way to prove if it's a wifi issue or not.

Area 21 is a billing reference so doesn't really mean anything. Contention issues are down to the cable you're connected to.

0 Kudos
Glenn_A
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Have you tested your speed when connected to the hub by cable? As this would be the fastest speed and should be close to your stated speed and if your hub is duel band try using the faster 5g instead of the 2g as this will improve your wifi speed but will possibly only get to around 50Mb/s. 

0 Kudos
CazD76
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Do not get 2g or 5g choice with Optical Fibre
0 Kudos
Glenn_A
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

My router is a duel band wifi hub on fibre optic cable and I can choose either 2g or 5g wifi, maybe they are not using them any more but 5g is a bit faster than 2g perhaps your new hub automatically selects the best connections when being used. Have you tested your speed with a PC or laptop connected directly to the hub yet ?. When I test my connection speed on my laptop connected directly to the hub I am getting 150mbps and that is what I am paying for but when tested for speed via wifi it's only just 50mbps so if your PC or laptop tests much less than what you are paying for I would suggest you ask VM to find the cause and sort it, I hope you get an answer to your speed problem soon as it must be frustrating to pay for high speed and only get low speed.

0 Kudos