Menu
icewraithuk
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Slow VIVID (Livid) 200 in Bristol BS14

Used to have the standard 200Mb/12Mb service, pretty much always got around 190/12. Signed up for the Vivid thing to get the better upload speed, however now I seem to be in some massive contention pool as I'm lucky if I get around 80Mb/20Mb and it's only at like 5:30am that I'll see 200/20. The upload speed seems solid, would love to know why the download is so poor though for a supposedly premium service.

Like most on here, I've tried to go through their support, I've found an old laptop and plugged it directly into their router and it's exactly the same as I get on my computer downstairs or my phone, the joys of actually being an IT professional and having a correctly set up gigabit network... they "can't find a fault" though, so I suspect it is something utterly borked with their config for the service on their side. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow VIVID (Livid) 200 in Bristol BS14

Hello icewraithuk,

Thanks for joining the community Smiley Very Happy

Sorry to hear about the speed issues you've got at the moment. I've taken a look from our end and I don't see any errors. Would you please be able to put your Hub into Modem Mode and re-test so we can further our diagnostics.

Thanks for your patience,

Talk with you soon.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
icewraithuk
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I'd be prepared to do this, if you can explain how with no change in my client side setup, it has suddenly gone from a stable 200/12 at pretty much any time to a 60-90/20 most of the time and at very off peak periods nearing 200/20. Literally the only thing that has changed is the plan you guys had me on. I'd be far more interested to see what happens if you put me back on the normal 200/12 service and if that restores the download speeds. Because I agree, there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the router or the local segment, it appears to be a contention problem which didn't exist on the previous price plan. 

Regards,

Craig

0 Kudos
deamondiamond
Dialled in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Have you setup a BQM? it would be quite easy to see if its contention, although by the sounds of it more than likely is, i live in the Wiltshire area and not long ago had a chat with one of the engineers who covers Bristol who came out to me, he told me there were big contention issues just like most over densely populated cities as i said he must love dealing with the contention issues. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello Craig

Thanks for getting back, it is a bit of a puzzle as despite the package change you are still on the same segment with the same routing, nothing has changed our side. Area traffic does have the odd peak in the evening but that does not seem to fit in with what you are describing. Hub levels all nicely in spec, I notice that you are using your own router, we are not blaming your equipment by the way just trying to follow some logical diagnostics. Would it be possible for you to try a couple of different devices directly in the hub (may need a reboot once connected to obtain a new WAN IP) using www.speedtest.net leaving the default server.

Thanks so much

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos