Menu
ablig
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Slow Upload and Ring Video Doorbell IOT Device Video Pausing Issue

I have a Ring Video Doorbell Pro device and it has “video pausing issues” when using their live view facility, and the same "pauses" when reviewing video recorded by the device. It is important to note that, as I understand, when the device records, it streams the live video to their cloud servers - I believe they use Amazon AWS to host recordings.

I am working with the good folks at Ring.com but thry believe the "pause issue" is because of a poor upload speed. The conclude this because when running their recommended speed test site, www.bandwidthplace.com my upload speed (according to that) is mainly 0.10 mbps. Rarely, it shows 5 or 6mbps (I have a 200/12mbps Virgin service). However, when running the likes of www.speedtest.net that always shows I have a 200d/12u service, and almost every other speed test service interestingly, so only bandwidthplace shows I havd a very poor upload service.

How can it be that this bandwidthplace speed test shows my upload speed to be slow, always, and is this linked with my Ring Video Doorbell Pro issue do you think?

Bandwidthplace shows the test server to be their London node, and manually overriding that to say, New York, the download can slow, but which ever occasion upload is always .10/.11 (varying) upload speed. The problem I have is that the ring folks are pretty adamant that this is the issue.

The only point I find interesting is that friends, also on Virgin (at other geographical locations) who run bandwidthplace, seem to have reasonable upload speeds, and not sub 1mb as I get.

Has anyone any thoughts on this which could help me? In general, I have no issues with my Virgin ISP supply, and everything, including uploading to Youtube, other uploads and services, including all other cloud services I use all work well. Any ideas? What speed do you get using this speed test site?

Just one more point, I have tried running bandwidth place on different devices - so on my various laptops, on my iphone, on my ipad and I always receive the same result at my home connection. I can see bandwidthplace reporting faster speeds elsewhere, on other wifi's, so I get a sense that bandwidthplace does work - but pretty much always shows MY home Virgin upload speed being very very slow - and the folks at Ring use this site as their benchmark to consider valid upload speed capability. They say they need 2mbps upload to work properly. I thought my 12mbps upload speed would be fine of course....

Thanks, and appreciate any feedback on this.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
manzana698
Joining in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Upload and Ring Video Doorbell IOT Device Video Pausing Issue

Hi Ablig

I just bought ring doorbell. I am having serious issues to connect the device to wifi as it will simply wont connect.

I think it's because of the frequency - I tried all channels but didnt work. Would you be so kind to share the wifi settings (router) you used for connecting?

Many thanks
Marcelo

Ps: i followed their process of course but when selecting my VM account in Ring mobile app and set the password (last step) then it will time put and drop connection
0 Kudos
ablig
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Upload and Ring Video Doorbell IOT Device Video Pausing Issue

Hi Marcelo. How did you get on? Sorry, I did not respond earlier.

0 Kudos