Menu
dav88
Joining in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Slow Speeds

Hello,

I've noticed in the last few days the speeds in the RG42 area have been incredibly slow during peak hours. I currently pay for 200meg a month and as of 20:58 I'm receiving 12.21 meg download and 12.27 upload which is pretty slow. Any reason or update on why this is happening.

Many thanks

David

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Speeds

Hello dav88,

Thanks for posting and I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing slow speeds.

I have located your account to run a couple of tests and everything looks okay with the hub so can I just check whether you're running these speed tests through a wired or wireless connection?

Looking forward to hearing from you

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
dav88
Joining in
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi there,

Apologies that I missed your message. I was away and I didn't see the update in my inbox.

I'm using a wired connection on my pc. I just ran a test tonight as it's been particularly slow and the download speeds are very low, hovering just over 10mbps. The speed test details can be found here: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5853905594

Is there any reason for the big drop in speeds at the moment? It currently seems quite random some nights it'll be fine and others terrible.

Many thanks for your help, please let me know if you need any further information.

Dave

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hey Dave,

Thanks for getting back to us Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear that you're still having problems with your connection.

I've just taken another look and noticed that we've got a short term intermittent loss of service fault on-going right now.

We're hoping this will be resolved by 8PM tomorrow.

Could you please get back to us after to tomorrow and let us know if you notice any improvement.

Thanks again,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
dav88
Joining in
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather,

Thanks for your response. It was particularly bad on Tuesday and was a little better yesterday although ran a couple of speed tests and it was hovering around 20-30 meg which is quite under the 200 meg that I'm paying for!

I'll keep an eye on it but the speeds have been falling pretty drastically during peak hours. I know you can't expect a stable 200 meg connection all the time (which I do often get off-peak). But the problem I have is speeds below 50 meg and with two people on the internet on games or netflix this can create quite a few issues.

It's not the first time that this has happened and I'm aware that the RG42 area seems to have a great deal of overloading, primarily because you can't really get super high speed internet with other providers in the area.

As I say I'll continue to monitor but the service has dropped significantly over the last few weeks.

With best wishes

David

0 Kudos
dav88
Joining in
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Just as an update. I've just got home from work an run a quick speed test and the download speed is pretty below what I should be getting as can be seen: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5882423270

0 Kudos
dav88
Joining in
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

And a further update at 20:40 - http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5882981761

Down to 5meg download and 0.39 upload...that's the worst that it's been. On top of that I'm getting around 5-10% packet loss in games.

Can anyone advise? Has virgin oversubscribed the area again?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave,

Just wanted to let you know that I've received your PM and I've just this moment replied.

Hope to hear back from you soon,

Take care,

Heather.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
dav88
Joining in
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hello,

I know it's not the review date yet but I'd still like an update on what's going on if possible? I've noticed an even more significant drop in speeds and particularly line quality. Whenever I seem to play a game online after 6pm I'm littered with constant lag spikes, particularly if my girlfriend even looks at the internet. 

The problem I'm having is that it's been like this since January and usually whenever a issue is reviewed it merely gets postponed to the next date. 

If possible, can you please have a look at my line quality and whether anything can be done? I'm still paying over £45 a month I think and I'm really not getting anywhere near something that justifies that price.

Best wishes

Dave

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave,

No wonder you've noticed a significant difference in performance. There have been a number of SNR fault tickets raised against your CMTS. Your upstream segment was particularly bad on the 11th but has been clear since. I'm hoping that this doesn't recur but please let us know if the connection worsens and we'll take another look for you.

Kind wishes,

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos