Menu
murof
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Slow Speeds in Reading area

Hi,

For the past 2-3 weeks, the broadband connection has been ridiculously slow in our area, so much so that my daughters are increasingly using their 3G (not 4G) phones for their internet connection.

It's not an issue with wifi, as I get similar issues with a wired connection.

Also, do VM prioritise traffic to and from speedtest.net?  The reason I ask is that when I'm doing some tests on various websites, speedtest.net comes responds really well, whereas sites like Facebook, BBC, Twitter or any other site for that matter seem to struggle

Does anyone know of any work that's going on in the Reading area??

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Speeds in Reading area

Are you seeing slow speeds all day or only at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends)? Some areas are suffering with over utilisation, which results in very slow speeds at peak times but full speed at off peak times.

If off peak speeds are slow then some hub stats might help.  Go to http://192.168.0.1/ (or http://192.168.100.1/ if you are in modem mode) to get the VM hub GUI. Don't login but instead click on Router Status which is either a button in the top right of the screen or a text link at the bottom of the screen depending on which hub you have. Click on the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log sections and copy & paste the figures from those screens and post them here, don't worry about the formatting or you can post screenshots if that is easier. Be careful to edit out or obscure any reference to your WAN IP in the log to protect your privacy.

The community can have a look for you and see if anything in the figures looks wrong and advise accordingly. Or you can wait for the VM staff to pick up this thread (can take 7-10 days) and run checks on your line.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
murof
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Speeds in Reading area

Its difficult to say as I'm normally out of the house during the day so I can't say what its like at that time.

I will check the router stats again tonight, but I didn't spot anything unusual the last time; I just wondered if any work had been done in the area that might have caused some unintended problems

Thanks for replying.

0 Kudos