Menu
Jamie1990
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Slow Speeds during traffic management hours

Hi there ,

I pay for 100Mbs internet and i understand that during 4pm and 11pm all speeds are lowered because of  traffic management but this is ridiculous how much it is being lowered to it goes from 100Mbs down to some times 5-10Mbs and because of this i'm most likely going to change provider since my contract runs out on the 6th of next month unless theirs something you can do to fix this i pretty much pay for the internet just to play games and during these hours it's literally impossible to play any game without lagging  

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Speeds during traffic management hours

There is no download traffic management.

Usually the cause of peak time slowdowns is over utilization. In short - too many people in your locality signed up to VM services all wanting too much bandwidth. The hardware cannot cope as it only has a finite supply.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
Jamie1990
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

well can u check if there is a high peak time traffic fault in my area which is causing slow speeds because it shouldn't go as low is it does

i have been with virgin media for a very long time and have been very happy with the service but it's only been that last month or so that it starting to play up , as a gamer u can imagine how much of a head ache it is with these slow speeds

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello Jamie1990

Welcome to our forum, I am sorry you are having problems with slow speeds. As Shafreya mentioned we do not traffic manage downstream traffic Virgin Media Broadband traffic management policy

I must admit when I read your post it did look like a possible high area traffic issue but it is quite low so I wonder what is going on.

Your line and hub stats all look good, mmm just to be sure are you measuring over wireless or wired. If not doing so already please try over a direct Ethernet connection using www.speedtest.net and keep us posted.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Shafreya wrote:
There is no download traffic management.

Usually the cause of peak time slowdowns is over utilization. In short - too many people in your locality signed up to VM services all wanting too much bandwidth. The hardware cannot cope as it only has a finite supply.

Agreed. That's the official line, but if you suffer from a utilisation problem that imposes a speed limit of around 5Mbs at regular peak traffic times then effectively you're being traffic managed, whether it's intentional or not.

I have to admit that part of the cause of my skepticism on this is that if you look at utilisation complaints on this forum it can't be completely coincidental that most people report getting speeds around the 5Mbs mark. 

And, funnily enough, it also seems to settle around exactly the same speed you might be able to get from BT, Sky etc. But surely that's just coincidence too because a large, global company would never be that cynical, would they?

Of course, if you're free of utilisation problems then you can go ahead and knock yourself out in terms of downloads and VM offer a wonderful service ... but that's only IF you're free of utilisation problems.

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016
0 Kudos