Menu
Gopher04
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Slow Speeds PO14/13/12

For about month now the download speeds have been dropping to unacceptable levels in PO14, to the extent of getting anywhere between 10 to 20mb out of a 200mb connection, so way below the minimum level of 40% they have to supply at all times as a provider, but only between 4pm & 11pm, it's way to convenient, it's exactly the same ever evening, it's almost like VM are flicking a switch intentionally dropping the levels, or diverting them else where, and then bang on 11pm it all goes back to normally..hmmm again to convenient..

So if you live in these post codes please post your results if you have noticed this, and if you haven't already try checking on a speedtest site. This is not a individual customer problem, though they might try to use that excuse.

Results 1950 tonight.

6020039377.png148606489499992151318.png

JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Speeds PO14/13/12

There are at least three ongoing faults in the PO4 area alone. Each one affecting different parts of it. I've seen other customers from Portsmouth, Fareham and Gosport all complaining of utilisation problems, too. So you're not alone in PO14/13/12.

I'm currently getting around 3—6mb in the evening on a 150 package. The fault has been ongoing since October 2015 and is due for review at the end of March. 

This seems to be a regular problem in Portsmouth. If you type Portsmouth into the search box, you'll see what I mean. VM have run out of capacity, but they're still continuing to sell when there's nothing left to give.

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016
0 Kudos
ACS651
Tuning in
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I am in the PO12 Gosport area and on the VIVID 200/12 package.

I can get the full speed I am paying for if I choose to use the internet during the morning/lunchtime, but come late afternoon things start slowing down and by early evening it is down to around 20mbs on average.

Like the first poster mentioned, if I do a speed test at exactly 11PM all the speed seems to be available again.

It seems like two things are going on here. Firstly it does seem like there is a utilisation problem in the area as others have pointed out, but also it seems like Virgin themselves are also slowing the speed down on purpose at say between 4 and 11PM.

Upload speed has not been affected at all though and seems around the same speed day or night.

If it carries on this way I may have to cancel my services with them.

0 Kudos
Gopher04
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Also don't forget if you want to cancel and your receiving below 40% of your contracted speed you can leave at anytime without a cancellation fee..

Speedtest tonight.

148615613004140361878.png

0 Kudos
Gopher04
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Here's a new low tonight..especially when your upload has a better average than your download speed..

148632682943620544160.png

0 Kudos
Gopher04
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Guys if you are seeing these huge drops in the PO area's you need to run a speed test of some form and post the results here so they can see them, the FMS team are aware of this problem now but they need to see more results here as well, they are aware of this thread, also ring in and get yourself put through to the FMS team or 2nd line as they are also known, you wont get anything sorted till you do, help the cause.

0 Kudos
Gopher04
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

This is a link to same problems in the Gosport/Lee On The Solent areas which is PO12/13 which are having same issues.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Terrible-speeds-at-peak-times-in-Gosport/td-p/3242134/high...

0 Kudos
ACS651
Tuning in
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Yet another slow evening with my 200 MB connection from Virgin Media.

The first speedtest was done at 6PM and shows my connection starting to slow down a fair bit coming in at an average
speed of 51.1mbps

Then at 8.15pm it was down to an average speed of 9.6 mbps which is so slow that the Upload speed is faster than the download.

148641209009590210432.png

Please could one of the Forum Team please bring this to the attention of the right people who can fix this? I don't want to waste my time with the Customer Services at the end of the telephone they have been as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.

0 Kudos
golfcaddy
Tuning in
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Also experiencing problems this evening.  Speed down to 11 Mbps on a 100Mbps connection.

I am PO14 (Titchfield area).

Logged a fault with 150 and they wanted me to disconnect my router and put the Virgin SuperHub 2 back into router mode.  Despite me saying that was just wasting my time, I was forced to do it to eliminate my router (Asus RT-AC68U).  I understand they need to do these things.

They also tested the line in the meantime...  So I call 150 again whilst a single laptop is connected to the Superhub and miraculously by connection is back to 100Mb...  At which point the agent says "all is good sir... there's clearly no issue with your broadband speed.  It's likely your third-party router causing the problem.  And refused to escalate on that basis.

I disagree - so I asked to speak to a supervisor who has called an engineer out and should be visiting the cabinet as I write this.  I doubt the engineer will find any fault there, but maybe they will.  And I also mentioned I have a SamKnows whitebox connected which produces the Ofcom speed reports.  This is why I can't accept that the speed may be back to normal NOW, but the following graphs show the speeds from the last seven days and 30 days and you can clearly see the significant loss in bandwidth at peak times.  That is unacceptable and I made that clear to the supervisor.  Not fit for purpose.

The last 30 days - clear continued fall in speeds - these are AVERAGE speeds, including the 100Mb when it's between midnight and 12 noon.

The 7-day graph is much clearer showing the slowdown in speed.  I'd be extremely surprised if that was anything to do with my "rogue" router or Samknows Whitebox - much more likely to be contention and/or traffic management.

Capture7.JPGCapture30.JPG

0 Kudos
Gopher04
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@golfcaddy, stay with this thread, this thread is being watched by the FMS Team now, had long test session with them tonight, the ball is in motion, the more that back this area makes it easier both ends.