Menu
bootcampeddie
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Slow Speeds And Bigger Networks

Virginmedia are rolling out cable to places that have not been cabled yet, opening the doors to more potential customers. Don't you think before rolling out cables for new potential customers you should be looking after your existing customers first? I have been suffering with bad download speeds for some time now and when I ring there always seems to be some update that is going to last 3 weeks or so. I'm on a 70mbps (recently upped from 50mbps) and my download speeds go as low as 0.5mbps. Don't you think that looking after your actual customers and repairing the old NTL and Telewest network is more important? After all, this is where your money is!

At the moment I am getting 0.5mbps which is 140 times slower than I should be getting!!

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Speeds And Bigger Networks

Hey bootcampeddie,

Thanks for posting and a big welcome to the community Smiley Very Happy

I'm really sorry to read that you're being affected by an area fault, these can take a while to resolve and be very frustrating.

F004347370 is currently due for review on the 25th Jan, if you post back to us on or after this date, we will have more info for you.

I appreciate what you're saying and I'll feedback your comments.

Thanks again for your patience,

Take care.  

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
bootcampeddie
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Speeds And Bigger Networks

So its the 23rd February now and I've just been informed that this issue is not due to be addressed until June 2017. The ticket has already been raised for 12 months and still suffering with really slow speeds. Daytime speed has dropped to around 20mbps and night time has dropped to a staggering 1-2mbps!! Instead of Virginmedia rolling out into new areas, you should look after your current customers! You need to keep your old customers before concentrating on new ones!!!!

Very disappointed with Virginmedia right now!!

bootcampeddie
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why is your service so shockingly bad?

We are now more than 12 months on and still in the same 20 area and the fix date keeps moving every time it approaches. The fix date up to now is June 2017.

Knowing that there's a high utilization fault in this area, why is Virgin still signing people up from this area? It would make more sense to NOT sign people up and even try to get people to cancel until the utilization fix can be implemented. 

This fault has been going on for at least 13 months and the fix date is closing in (June) and I know that Virgin are going to push the goalposts back even further. Their excuse was that they need permissions off so many people in order to carry out the fix: local council to dig up the road, permissions to enter private property (where applicable), permissions for a 2nd cabinet, etc.... So if the whole network were to go down I'm sur engineers would soon be called out with hardly any permissions at all to put it right. Speeds of 0.16mbps are no good to me when I'm supposed to have a 76mbps connection!! Virgin are more than happy to take my money from me for a service they are clearly failing to supply!!

I'm not even sure that Virgin should be calling this a fault. There are too many people on the connection in the same area and this is causing very slow bandwidth speeds. To me, this is not a fault, rather Virgin getting too greedy and selling their overpriced packages to people that will only add to the problem!

PULL YOUR FINGER OUT AND LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE THAT ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT THEIR CRAP SPEEDS!!

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi bootcampeddie,

Thanks for posting.

I'm really sorry about this, I can completely understand where you're coming from.

The date that we give is a review date, not a fix date. Network upgrade work such as this happens in stages and the review dates help to structure that and allows the technicians to monitor progress.

I apologise again for the inconvenience this has caused you.

All the best

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
clifftaylor
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Josh, don't you get fed up with having to post this rubbish in reply to people who are paying good money for a service they don't get? The only "fault" here is VM signing on more customers, without looking at what the network capacity is.

0 Kudos
bootcampeddie
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Its now 24/3/17 and I have cancelled my subscription to Virginmedia. I'm going with BT that guarantee a 32 meg connection on their 30-52 meg fibre, which would be 31 meg faster than Virgin!

The problem with Virginmedia is they just dont know when to stop signing new customers up in one area and since the speed upgrade late last year I have been suffering with these slow speeds constantly. The network cannot handle the amount of connections you are pushing through it and it is causing very slow speeds. TThe worst thing Virginmedia done for the network is higher everyones speed. This has been the straw that broke the camels back in my opinion. Then you have the cheek to call it a fault! Its not a fault, its because you have oversold the service in the area!! Why is the fix date a floating point? Every time the fix date comes along you move the goalposts. The last time the goalposts were moved you added 6 months! 

And it IS a fix date. Just like when you book engineers for faults, this is a fix date. If it was a review date the tech team would say it was a review date and being a former employee of virginmedia I know it IS a fix date. I also understand that you need to get permissions and permits in order to carry out work on public roads, but I bet if a cabinet was plowed down by a bus you'd soon have an engineer of 5 out to fix it then! And it is for that reason why I am leaving virgin. I'll have a drop in speed with BT but it will be faster than Virgin at peak times by a long way. I get less than 5 meg (at times less than 1 meg) at peak times and for the fastest broadband speed provider, that is absolutely shocking! Whats the point of having a 70 meg connection when I can only use a couple of those megs??

Its a bad service and whats even worse is nothing is being done about it. It wont get better by itself!

0 Kudos