Menu
StephenLang1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Slow Speed at peak times

Hi Everyone,

Since having virgin fibre optic broadband installed over 2 years ago I have had drastic speed loss at peak times of the day, while a certain amount of loss is acceptable a loss of 190 Meg is not.

I was wondering if anyone else has informed offcom of the blatant mis selling of so called 200 Meg vivid broadband by virgin media, they are fully aware that they cannot deliver 200 Meg, its over utilisation, too many people being connected up on too few lines.

This Is an Illegal practice, its mis selling.

You can see from this picture bellow the amount of loss today 11:02:17.

Also notice how the signal is shark toothed, that causes buffering because the quality of the signal is unstable.

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate Images removed (contains IP addresses), please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Bartman007
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Slow Speed at peak times

Its CISAS you need not OFCOM, and you need to follow VM's complaints procedure before even contacting CISAS, if VM have not sorted your problem as outlined in the complaints procedure then they have a final 8 weeks to solve it.

Good luck as its not short or easy.

EDIT, They will also edit your post rather than sort your query out, how professional of them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the information I provide is available on Google Search, I just make it simple for you Smiley Happy
Bartman007
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yozzer wrote:

My speed is abysmal evenings and weekends, (just checked and it is just over 6 Mb/s download), and it has been like this for ages, slowly getting worse each week. I rang and complained, and I am told the box where my signal comes from needs upgrading, and its a known problem, (area 20), and will be fixed by March 31st.

Seems she has become very hard, and my complaints that I cannot stream from Amazon where I am a customer, fell on deaf ears. It seems very clear to me that Virgin are simply selling bandwidth they do not have.

Having been the first customer in the lane I live on many years ago, long before it was virgin, I never thought 20 odd years later the speed would slower now than it was then!

If VM are 100% at fault, utilisation (over subscribing) is their problem, then make a formal complaint with VM, after 8 weeks if its not resolved take it to CISAS, follow my simple guide to make it easier.

You can, if you provide enough evidence to CISAS you can get up to, if not more than 50% of your BB costs.

Hit them in their pocket not yours.

Also, TBH, the more that complain paints a picture to CISAS, and in turn OFCOM might get involved, it might be a small percentage, but its a big enough percentage to make heads turn.

Don't procrastinate, go and do it. If you let any company get what they want they will do it all the time, USE THE GUIDE!, I am helping you.

Good luck

Regards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the information I provide is available on Google Search, I just make it simple for you Smiley Happy
Yozzer
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks Bartman007, I followed your link, and in fact that is what I am doing. I rang and said I was following the complaints process and they should log it, that is when she said it would be fixed by the end of March, so I will call back tomorrow, and ask to speak to a manager. I suspect they said the end of March as that would have been 8 weeks from my complaint. What I failed to do, was go to the next level. which is what I will now do, at any rate, the clock started ticking last weekend when i rang.

I did say, as it had been going on already for months, the charges should be reduced until it is fixed, so we will see. Your point about many complaining is a good on ;0)

All Replies
Bartman007
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Its CISAS you need not OFCOM, and you need to follow VM's complaints procedure before even contacting CISAS, if VM have not sorted your problem as outlined in the complaints procedure then they have a final 8 weeks to solve it.

EDIT, They will also edit your post rather than sort your query out, how professional of them.

StephenLang1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Screenshot (24).png

Bartman007 wrote:

Thanks for your reply, very helpful, I have posted the picture again minus the ip address that should comply... you can then see the true speed and latency.

0 Kudos
Yozzer
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

My speed is abysmal evenings and weekends, (just checked and it is just over 6 Mb/s download), and it has been like this for ages, slowly getting worse each week. I rang and complained, and I am told the box where my signal comes from needs upgrading, and its a known problem, (area 20), and will be fixed by March 31st.

Seems she has become very hard, and my complaints that I cannot stream from Amazon where I am a customer, fell on deaf ears. It seems very clear to me that Virgin are simply selling bandwidth they do not have.

Having been the first customer in the lane I live on many years ago, long before it was virgin, I never thought 20 odd years later the speed would slower now than it was then!

0 Kudos
Bartman007
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yozzer wrote:

If VM are 100% at fault, utilisation (over subscribing) is their problem, then make a formal complaint with VM, after 8 weeks if its not resolved take it to CISAS, follow my simple guide to make it easier.

You can, if you provide enough evidence to CISAS you can get up to, if not more than 50% of your BB costs.

Hit them in their pocket not yours.

Also, TBH, the more that complain paints a picture to CISAS, and in turn OFCOM might get involved, it might be a small percentage, but its a big enough percentage to make heads turn.

Don't procrastinate, go and do it. If you let any company get what they want they will do it all the time, USE THE GUIDE!, I am helping you.

Good luck

Regards

StephenLang1
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the information, no procrastinating here Bartman007, im getting on this today!...

0 Kudos
Yozzer
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks Bartman007, I followed your link, and in fact that is what I am doing. I rang and said I was following the complaints process and they should log it, that is when she said it would be fixed by the end of March, so I will call back tomorrow, and ask to speak to a manager. I suspect they said the end of March as that would have been 8 weeks from my complaint. What I failed to do, was go to the next level. which is what I will now do, at any rate, the clock started ticking last weekend when i rang.

I did say, as it had been going on already for months, the charges should be reduced until it is fixed, so we will see. Your point about many complaining is a good on ;0)

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi StephenLang1,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

I've managed to locate your account and it appears you are being affected by a high peak time traffic fault in your area. Our networks team are investigating the problem and are improving bandwidth and performance to help with this issue. The reference number is F004217727 and has a review date of 26th April.

I'm sorry for the delay and inconvenience caused.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos