Menu
Kaiowas
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Slow Speed after 4pm Area 26

Hi

I got my service installed at around 1pm today (Vivid 200) and initially speeds fluctuated. Then for a good hour all speedtest speeds came out at 200Mbps which made me a very happy man (wired and wireless)

then after 4pm the next speed test I ran gave me 4Mbps and has stayed there all night.

I have read many threads about issues surrounding Utilization faults and local speed issues and this has me reaching for my cooling off period (which I guess I have 14 days from today).

I spoke to tech via the chat option and read the threads around here, have performed many resets, modem mode/back again so was hoping someone could check and see what the matter could be. Tech said this could be down to the hub adjusting but the hub log hasn't downloaded anything since when it was first turned on (config) and I have read that cabled internet doesn't have a settling in period. Tech also said I wasn't being traffic managed nor was there a fault.

I don't intend on staying with Virgin if the internet isn't up to snuff (I haven't cancelled BT yet and the only service I'm getting from Virgin is internet so why would I?) so I wanted to see if it was in fact a utilization fault or something that could be resolved more easily.

Area 26 (BT16 post code) Virgin has JUST been introduced to my development in the last few months, lots of door to door and flyers etc.

As others have posted, the VM helpers here cannot track how long a post goes unanswered if others post here or bump the thread, so please refrain from posting on this thread unless you have a suggestion to fix the issue.

many thanks

0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Speed after 4pm Area 26

Over utilisation (Have a look through this forum.). Too many people wanting to use too much bandwidth at peak times. VM take a long time to upgrade their infrastructure. Over a year isn't uncommon. this only happens around 6pm to midnight or 1am then other hours is ok you get the speeds its all the everyone wanted to get online youtube videos and homework everything else you can think of. if you have fast internet with bt use this in peek times untill VM sort this Over utilisation (infrastructure)

Using VIVID 350 Optical Fibre, Player TV, Talk Weekends

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
0 Kudos
Kaiowas
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

thanks but I'm going to wait on an answer specifically to confirm this from Virgin.

Please don't push this thread down the list, I am well aware of the potential issues as explained above. VM's infrastructure in my area is no older than 3 months
0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

honstly it takes week or 2 weeks for virgin media staff to confirm

Using VIVID 350 Optical Fibre, Player TV, Talk Weekends

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kaiowas,

Welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear you've been having trouble with your speeds.

I've located your account and I can see you've got a technician booked to sort out your upstream power level issues. Let me know how the appointment goes and give me a shout if you need anything else.

All the best! Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos