Menu
BennySavage
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Slow Speed For No Reason At All...

So recently I have been getting more and more fed up with Virgin Media. Every so often, my internet will suddenly have either an awful download speed or a horrendous ping issue. This used to happen monthly, but it has slowly been getting more and more frequent to the point where it seems that every few days I'm thrown into a total rage because of my internet.

Here are a couple of speed test's taken after restarting my router. (And yes, I am using an ethernet cable). 

C1hXo45WgAAcoKCCydi9ivXUAAjwMi

And yes, these were taken on separate days, with no other programs running in the background of my PC, and with little- to no other devices connected ( aside from maybe a mobile phone or something)

I pay for 50 Mbps download speed so when I saw 2.5 and 0.5 on these occasions I was amazed.

I would like to make sure this never happens again, or at least make it so it goes back to being a monthly experience. This problem needs to stop as it shouldn't even be happening in the first place let alone so frequently.

0 Kudos
maza
Tuning in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Speed For No Reason At All...

welcome to virgin mate iv had it for over 6 months now thay say it high amount of use in your area and they will sort out or give you a review date for work to be done and so on and so on, all the best

Hydrops
Dialled in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Over utilisation.......... Please refer to the numerous threads regarding this issue and VM's inability to fix anything. 

What really **bleep** me off is that they are able to send engineers to your address to fix very simple issues (ie switch out a router) but when it comes to actually upgrading their infrastructure it is clearly being conducted by a 5 year old.

Getting consistently shafted by highly fluctuated ping during "peek" all daylight hours.
deddoa
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You would think with their regular price hikes (which for the second time in a row they have not notified me of before hand) and the like they would be able to afford to offer the service that is paid for. Since 5am this morning when I logged on, I have been lucky to get higher than 20Mb on my 200Mb package which of course is down to thier throttling system that just blanket throttles the area even at a time when over utilisation shouldn't even be an issue (I found this out from an engineer after we spent hours trying to find the problem, all he was getting told initially was that I had reached my limit for the month, which confused both of us on an unlimited service, before he was eventually told it was the entire area being throttled), and thats a regular thing these days, combined with the high latency at times and frequent disconnects in the evenings (usually while I am play online).  

I want to ugrade to the gamer package for the higher uploads and alleged non throttling, however, given when I asked if this would stop me being hammered with the area throttling, I was told no, so I really can't see the point until they get their act together. Why pay even more to not get what you are paying for when you are already not getting what you pay for.

On a side note, i'd try other speed test sites than speedtest.net, as I have found it gives false reports on speeds, it will tell me I am getting over 200Mb/s but my actual connetion is far less than that. I know its not a problem at my end (12 devices with internet connections with a mix of wired and wireless, and mix of OS's etc and they all give the same results when they are the only ones connected) as I have been told I have been getting far less than that by VM themselves. Like today, do speedtest.net, shows 189Mb/s, go to a couple other speed test sites and they all show 20-25Mb/s. Even my usually real world test showed the slower results (I download the video card drivers from AMD or NVidia as both usually download in seconds when everything is running properly).

Oddly uploads always seem fine, but then they have been lagging behind the downloads for years.

SiKi
Up to speed
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@deddoa
I can echo exactly what you say about throttling, i guess its a way these crooks manage the overloaded network..
Glad you realised that the upgrade to the gamer/streamer package what not give you more speed which is most ironic as usually a upgrade in price reflects the upgrade in service.. There is posts on here that people have upgraded only to find it makes no difference what so ever, but VM gladly took their money!

there dishonest about fix dates, dishonest about all the work going into the upgrades, having poeple think its there internal connections when it is obviously their overloaded network all in all the one off the most dishonest companies trading today...where is watchdog when you need them..Smiley Happy
BennySavage
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks to everyone that replied. It's just like over the last 7 or 8 years with the company there has to have been 1-3 months worth of days where the internet has been below 1Mbps. So I feel like for the next few months I should pay 1/50th of what I'm paying as compensation.