Menu
FKA
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Slow Peek-time Speeds for 2 years and 4 months - AND COUNTING!

Yet again I feel the need to post about VMs terrible broadband speeds, shocking customer service and total lack of ability to implement fixes for known long running technical issues.

October 2014 I first reported an issue with slow download speeds in my area (Epsom). I'm apparently on a 120Mb/s D/L service and at peek times I'm lucky to get 10Mb/s.

VM admitted in 2014 that my area was oversubscribed and work was being carried out under ticket number F003292492 or F003292492 to upgrade the service. Since that point I have periodically been given "review dates" for the issue.

To date I have been given review dates of:

18/11/2015
27/04/16
27-07-2016
30/11/16
And most recently 08/02/17

Each time a review date comes up I'm told there is a new review date, no explanation of why and when I ask if any work has, to-date, been carried out I'm given the stock lie sorry line, that the new "review date" will be ***** and no further explanation.

VM is clearly doing nothing to rectify this issue and are clearly more than happy to mis-sell it's customers a service it obviously can not supply. Sure I get around 120Mb/s if I go online at 1am or 2am but during the usual times people want to use the internet, after work for example, if both my partner an myself are trying to look at Facebook at the same time we can just forget it! God knows what kind of experience a family with children old enough to use the internet have at 6pm?!!

Trying to placate customers who have slow connection issues by lying to them with apparent "works" that will be carried out in the area, along with fictional "review dates", is completely unacceptable, disrespectful and down right dishonest.

I'm contemplating my next move - I've had need to contacted the VM CEO about previous issues and actually had a satisfactory response. Surely customers shouldn't need to go to such lengths, but hey hoe this is VM we're talking about! - Maybe it's finally time to move on and try a new provider, there's plenty of choice out there.

I don't expect a response to this, I've been in regular contact with the "mods" who give me whopping £10 credit each month this debacle goes on, and feed me a new lie sorry "review date" once in a while.

I'd love to have some honesty from VM about this issue and if work is planned, be given an honest date for the fix - but I very much doubt that will happen.

For the record, here's my speedtest.net results to a local server at 2100gmt tonight, from my machine that is hard wired to the router. Believe me, this is a good day!

Screen Shot 2017-01-26 at 21.02.14.png

FKA
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Peek-time Speeds for 2 years and 4 months - AND COUNTING!

Speedtest.net result for a 120Mb/s connection run again tonight at 9pm from a machine hard wired to the router

Screen Shot 2017-01-31 at 21.04.03.png

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Evening FKA,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

I can imagine how frustrating this might be considering the length of time and the inconvenience caused.

With the high peak time traffic fault, the work involved to improve bandwidth can involve implementation of additional upstream and/or downstream channels, hardware upgrades at the CMTS, re-siting of street cabinets, digging up of roads/paths etc, which require bandwidth. Nearer the date the engineers will assess the issue and if there has been an improvement they will close the fault otherwise they will continue with additional work. I can see that the review date is showing as 26th April.

Hopefully this will be resolved soon for you.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
choddurham
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

IT HAS BEEN PUSHED BACK AGAIN!!! SERIOUSLY

0 Kudos
kato900
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Oh man, this is happening to me as well... I don't even know what to say... The longer I say in the forums, the more outraged I get... How can there be this many of us, and nothing is getting done... It's blowing my mind. I've not seen one person that has suffered from over congestion have it fixed yet, not one. I'm going on over a year now, I'm told it will be fixed on the 15th, I bet it won't be though, and I'm gonna change isp the second they I see it's not fixed. I'll just go to sky or bt and deal with slow speeds.

0 Kudos
Raco
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

How come after your contract is up (12 months) you don't switch providers? you would think after a year of **bleep** fixes and lies you would clock on that its never going to be fixed. My contact ends next month and im off to a different provider after almost 12 months of **bleep** and lies and the worst experience ive had. Maybe you cant get any other broadband providers in your area?

0 Kudos
Bartman007
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If VM are 100% at fault, utilisation (over subscribing) is their problem, then make a formal complaint with VM, after 8 weeks if its not resolved take it to CISAS, follow my simple guide to make it easier.

You can, if you provide enough evidence to CISAS you can get up to, if not more than 50% of your BB costs.

Hit them in their pocket not yours.

Also, TBH, the more that complain paints a picture to CISAS, and in turn OFCOM might get involved, it might be a small percentage, but its a big enough percentage to make heads turn.

Don't procrastinate, go and do it.

Good luck

Regards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the information I provide is available on Google Search, I just make it simple for you Smiley Happy
Area20-KT19
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi FKA,
We have been having the many 'review' dates as well, 0.5 - 3mb every evening, and yes I realise it's 'up-to 50mb' for us but there has to be a useable service, which this clearly isn't.
KT19 area, time for Watchdog to have a sniff around I think....will be pinging them an email.
0 Kudos
FKA
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Samantha_L wrote:

Evening FKA,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

I can imagine how frustrating this might be considering the length of time and the inconvenience caused.

With the high peak time traffic fault, the work involved to improve bandwidth can involve implementation of additional upstream and/or downstream channels, hardware upgrades at the CMTS, re-siting of street cabinets, digging up of roads/paths etc, which require bandwidth. Nearer the date the engineers will assess the issue and if there has been an improvement they will close the fault otherwise they will continue with additional work. I can see that the review date is showing as 26th April.

Hopefully this will be resolved soon for you.

Regards

Sam

Hi Sam

I'm a broadcast engineer and amongst other things, my work involves commissioning local P2P links and global fibre networks for a major global broadcaster.

I know full well that it does not take over two and a half years to pull new fibre, install and configure nodes, test and roll out to the customer. So can we please stop the pretense that Virgin Media have, for the last two and a half years, been in the process of upgrading the network in my area!

You state "Nearer the date the engineers will assess the issue and if there has been an improvement they will close the fault otherwise they will continue with additional work.". What exactly does this mean?

To me that means - VM set and arbitrary date in some blind hope that once that date is reached the issue will have magically resolved itself. Your engineers then "reassess" and discover that, lo and behold, the problem still exists - who'd have known! - Then another arbitrary future date is set, which gives VM just enough time to go and bury it's head in the sand for few more months...

As I've said before - VM needs to STOP LYING to it's customers.

For the record again - here's my speedtest results from a machine hard wired to the SuperHub taken at 21:38 this evening using my apparent 120Mb/s connection!!

Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 21.38.44.png

FKA
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Bartman007 wrote:

If VM are 100% at fault, utilisation (over subscribing) is their problem, then make a formal complaint with VM, after 8 weeks if its not resolved take it to CISAS, follow my simple guide to make it easier.

You can, if you provide enough evidence to CISAS you can get up to, if not more than 50% of your BB costs.

Hit them in their pocket not yours.

Also, TBH, the more that complain paints a picture to CISAS, and in turn OFCOM might get involved, it might be a small percentage, but its a big enough percentage to make heads turn.

Don't procrastinate, go and do it.

Good luck

Regards

Bookmarked your guide - as soon as I have time I WILL be logging my complaint.

Cheers

0 Kudos