Menu
SheffAnt
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Slow Peak Speeds in Sheffield

Broadband has been very slow for the last few weeks during the peak evening hours.

I should be on 50mb but can't even get up to 3mb at the moment.  Not in during the day to check what the daytime speeds are like.

According to the Service Checker there is no problem and I've reset the router and checked the cables several times.

Looking around the forum this seems a common problem with other Virgin areas.  

Does anyone know what Virgin are doing about these problems?  I hate to be paying for a service I'm just not getting especially with the price going up again shortly

Thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Peak Speeds in Sheffield

Hey there SheffAnt,

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

Really sorry to hear about the slow speeds that you're experiencing at the moment, I appreciate this is frustrating for you.

I've just taken a look at your connection and I can see that we're currently in the process of resolving fault: F004719236 which is affecting your local area. It's getting reviewed on the 26th Oct, and that's when we will have more info about the progress.

Would you please get back in touch on or after the review date and we will be more than happy to update you accordingly.

Thanks for your patience,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Paul339
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

don't believe anything they tell you its all down to high volume usage in your area and they doing jack **bleep** about it I have been having the same problem since 2015 and still they do nothing just take your money and give you a date when it will be resolved but it wont be so if I was you I would tell them to stick it like I am  

0 Kudos
Paul339
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

ps I'm in S2
0 Kudos
SheffAnt
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I am in S6.

I contacted technical support at the weekend (twice as the promised call back never happened).

They confirmed the over utilisation and the fix date date of 26th October.  However, like Paul339, I do not really believe this and expect the service to be slow as usual in the evenings come November.

I find it convenient that a fix is promised a couple of weeks after a complaint when I've been aware of the problem for a while but only just summoned up the courage to approach the dreaded foreign call centre.  They said I would be discounted for this month but were very vague on specifics. 

I have already started searching for a better provider to switch to once the end of October comes and goes.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi SheffAnt,

Thanks for posting back on the community.

I've taken a look at the high peak time traffic in your area and our engineers are still working on this with a review date of 2nd November.

I did also notice that the upstream power levels are too high and for this I would like to arrange an engineer appointment to adjust these for you. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) requesting some details.

I'm sorry for the delay and inconvenience caused.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
SheffAnt
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

So as expected (predicted by Paul339), both the 26th October and 2nd November have come and gone with no change to evening speeds (5mb tonight).  

Promised a credit for loss of service and got a whole £2.39.  So not much for virtually unusable broadband during evenings.

Time to finally cancel I think after 11 years (10 of which have been very good - it's just the last year that's done it).

Samantha_L: had no PMs regarding anything.  

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi SheffAnt,

Thanks for coming back to us here and apologies to see the fault is still ongoing.

I understand it's frustrating having faults go on as long as they do at times but the work required is very complex. 

It has to go through an investigation stage where we look at what work is needed, planning where we look at how to resolve things. This is the stage that usually takes the longest. We may need to repull cables, lay new ones, move a cabinet or even replace a cabinet. All of this work means we need permits from the relevant authorities. 

Once the planning is done, we need to look at costing. If the cost is to much then we need to go back to the start with planning. More often than not, the permits given are for certain times / dates to so this also needs to be factored in as well as then scheduling the work to be completed once everything is approved. 

As it stands, work looks set to go ahead in February for fault reference: F004719236 so fingers crossed this remains the last date. 

Again I am sorry and if there is anything else we can do to help, let us know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
SheffAnt
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

My main problem is that I was told the problem would be fixed, not investigated, but fixed by October 26th.  This then developed into 'will be reviewed' on November 2 and now you're saying it will be February before we know if work will even begin (and I fully expect this not to be the case).

I also was told I would be getting a discount and found that this was a paltry £2.50ish.

When you are paying £40+ a month, a one-off £2.50 is a bit of a joke, especially if we are going to have an usable broadband service in peak times for at least another 4 months.

What we are doing now is paying for a poor speed as Virgin have over sold a service they can't deliver.

It really does seen that I should switch to another provider.  There would then be little point in keeping the Tivo as they jack the price up on that if you don't have broadband.

0 Kudos
SheffAnt
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

As expected, February has brought a "has a review date of 26/04/17" with a £20 credit message which is mostly swallowed by the price rises.

Come April I expect this to move to a June review with no sign of a fix so I am beginning the process of cancelling by looking at other providers.

According to Which magazine Zen Internet and Utility Warehouse do best on user scores.  Anybody in S6 used these?

Also, as I'm cancelling the Broadband (and will probably need to move the phone) I may as well cancel the TV.  This may take longer as we need to clear the recordings off (whilst making new ones on a PVR).  Does anyone know the cost of just getting lowest tier TV (without phone and broadband) as I will need this for a couple of months.

Been happy with the service for 10 years but the Broadband speeds combined with the very slow TIVO means I must leave them!

0 Kudos