Menu
carruthersmj
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Slow Broadband

I'm paying for 50Mb, but most evenings seem to get about 4Mb.  I'm in region 21 - NW London, and this has been happening since November..

Does anyone else have this issue, and any ideas how to improve it?  I've reported the issue a couple of times with no results.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Broadband

Slow speeds at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends) but full speed at off peak times is normally a symptom of high utilisation/contention in your area.  Are your off peak speeds OK?

Somebody from the VM forum team should be along in a few days (up to a week) to check your connection and can confirm if there is a known issue with your segment of the network. If that is the case they should provide a fault reference and pass your details onto another team who should inform you about your credit options for the lack of service via a PM. They should also be able to provide a review date for the fault. Note that it is a review date not an expected fix date and some customers affected by this kind of issue have been waiting over a year for a fix.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi carruthersmj,

Thanks for posting!

Really sorry to hear you're having trouble with your connection.

I've located your account and I can see an issue with the network in your area affecting speeds at peak times - Ref.(F004271731). Our technicians are working to get this sorted as soon as possible and have set a review date of 8th February.

I'm really sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

carruthersmj
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Josh,

Unfortunately this has been going on for about 2 months, and I have been told on a few occasions that its a technical problem and is being looked into...

Is there anything more definite that you can tell me?  Can I be upgraded to get a more reasonable speed in the evenings?

Many thanks

Malcolm

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Malcolm,

Our team is working to upgrade the network in your area to support increased demand. It's unlikely that an upgrade will do much to help with this kind of issue.

I'm really sorry, I know this is frustrating!

All the best

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos