Menu
RachelCurrie
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Slow Broadband within areas of the house

hello, we have a Superhub situated in the living room (of a semi detached house no mansions here!), the speeds we are getting throughout the house are varied and in some cases unworkable depending on location. I went about the house and took some WiFi speeds, these are the results I gathered (all done outwith peak time):

• while sitting in the livingroom the download speed is 44.6 mbphs and the upload speed is 5.82 mbps.
  • In another room downstairs which is roughly 8 meters away the download speed is 4.23 mbps and the upload is 0.97 mphs (this was taken while loitering in a doorway since there is no signal within the room!).
  • While upstairs in the house the download speed is 6.9 mbps and the upload is 0.85 mbps.

This has meant that within the house there are areas where there is no usable WiFi. In addition to this the Tivo box we have is freezing or distorting recordings I don't know if this might be related.

I have phoned up Virgin Media about this on many occasions and I am palmed off doing the same routine (turn off the WiFi, turn off devices and so on) I have done before with little and non lasting improvement to the services within my house. I am now in the position that while I am paying for a super hub I am receiving the internet access I could gain using a reasonably lengthy Ethernet cable. Is there another solution to this issue other than turning on and off my devices which I have been doing for around 4 months now to no lasting avail?? 

0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Broadband within areas of the house

Unfortunately turning the devices off and on isn't going to help in these cases.

To me it sounds as though the issue is purely down to lack of wireless signal in the areas of your house in which you mention slow speeds.

Using a wired ethernet connection is always the preferred method as you can maintain the fastest possible and most stable connection, although this isn't always practical and in these cases you have no option but to rely on wifi.  The other option would be to purchase some type of signal booster.

The only other thing I can think of is possibly a faulty Superhub - Have you been able to get good speeds in these other rooms previously ? - If so, it maybe the router itself that is faulty.

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
0 Kudos
RachelCurrie
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi there thanks for the reply, the super hub is plugged in via Ethernet cable but all other devices are wireless unfortunately. Yeah our previous signal had been excelled we had days it maybe dropped a little but generally wifi signal was good and capable of supportive tv streaming and laptops which it is now unable to do. I was also thinking the super hub was maybe reaching the end of its lifespan it is a few years old but no one I've spoken to on the phone wants to hear that.
0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I would highly recommend you speak to the retentions (loyalty) department over the phone.

Choose the option that you are thinking of leaving Virgin Media - this will put you through to the UK based loyalty department.  If you explain this to them (that you have phoned many times and not getting anywhere) I'm sure they will be able to sort this for you.  They are much better than the other departments.

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

What model superhub do you have?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
RachelCurrie
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi there I think we have the first superhub?
0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

In that case definitely give them a call as they are trying to get these replaced anyway.

See:  https://keepup.virginmedia.com/hubupgrade

-

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you have the first superhub, the wifi is going to be terrible on it. It's a terrible piece of kit and they are trying to do away with them all.

Ring up again and request a new superhub siting that the wireless range isn't good enough and it keeps dropping out. Won't let you use 2.4ghz and 5ghz at the same time.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos